Peritonitis? :(

hugs.gif

Not a 100% indicator - just would tell me to watch closely.

Have you read the thread about lethargic duck? https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/833809/urgent-soft-shelled-eggs-and-a-lethargic-duck

It is a long read - but the highlights are that PetDuck's Quackers had some classic EYP (egg yolk peritonitis) symptoms, it turned out to be the diagnosis, and she got help with antibiotics and needed to tube feed Quackers till she bounded back. And Quackers recovered.

Read the very first post in that thread for what it looked like.

Symptoms that come to my mind (I have lost two ducks)

lethargy
slightly squishy-feeling lower abdomen
may or may not lay odd eggs frequently
far-away look in the eye
weak
loss of appetite
stumbling

In Shelly's case, she seemed off, went to the vet, nothing appeared unusual, and six weeks later she died quietly after refusing to come out of the night shelter.

Although some vets are pretty fatalistic about it, I believe that in some number of cases, antibiotic treatment and support with vitamins and diet and TLC will pull them through.

Flip side of that is that a friend with many pekins says that in her flock, the soft egg layers are not the ones getting peritonitis for the most part.

I have to be away most of today - - - but if you can, get a vet to look at the duck. Feel her tummy gently to see if it is squishy. Give her some poultry vitamins in her water once a week for now. Does she have any of those other symptoms?

I think the medicine they gave Quackers was Baytril - prescription only. And it kills the duck's appetite, often. So probiotics and possibly tube feeding, worst case.

hugs.gif

Last edited:
Thanks Amiga.
This morning was the first time she did not want to eat so I immediately took her into the vet. EYP is the diagnosis. She basically gave me 3 options, to try amd make her as comfortable as I can, euthanasia, or spay her. If she were older I would consider euthanasia, but Tegan just lost her buddy a month ago to a dog in the neighborhood getting loose- so I opted to spay her. I really don't want to lose her. I understand the risks associated with this surgery but I felt as if I had no choice. Any other way sounded like a sure death sentence. Her surgery is scheduled for Friday morning. I dropped her off today so that they can monitor her and make her strong enough to try and withstand the hardship of surgery.
This past month has been terrible :(
Keep little Tegan in your thoughts.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom