Permanent Coop or Tractor?

Quella

Songster
11 Years
Dec 20, 2008
Which one do you prefer more- a permanent coop or a chicken tractor? I have no idea, because with a tractor you'd get plenty of fresh grass for them but then again, less predator safety.
Which one would you do/have done?

I have had both and prefer both. What I mean to say is that I like a large coop with a large run for the biggest part of my flock, but there always seems to be a need to isolate one or two birds for many reasons and for that I like the tractor. I use it for broody hens or new birds that I don't want to mix with the rest of my birds. I like that it is portable so that I can move it around as needed.
I have always started with the large coop and run and then added my tractor later, but you could always do it the other way around and build a tractor first and grow into a larger coop.

Good luck and be careful it is addictive.
jumpy.gif

Quote:
well it depends if you can free range them or not most people with tractor coops because they are inside the city or have a very little yard, so for me my henhouse is a stick building, but I don't mind a little tractor for chicks only.

Omran

The problem you have with a tractor is often the fact that you generally have to balance portability with sturdiness (protection from elements/predators) - unless you have a REAL tractor or other vehicle to pull it around, the portability factor will also limit the number of chickens you keep. Also if you read the posts here, there are a fair number of people who started off building a tractor but built it too heavy to move comfortably on a regular basis. Permanent coops can be built bigger, house more chickens and can be made more predator proof because you don't have to worry about the weight of the structure. I started off with a tractor but as with most chicken keepers...well, I wanted more
lol.png
so I've moved on to a more permanent structure.

ozzie

I have a small tractor, a medium stationary coop with a run, and a dog exercise pen with bird netting. I like them all. If I could only pick either a tractor or a coop, I would go with a coop and use the dog pen still.

The dog pen allows me to free range them in the weird little paths and in my veggie garden where my tractor doesn't fit, and it is really easy to move around. I just don't leave them in it when I am not in the yard gardening. It is pinned down with u shaped hooks and the bird netting is clipped all around the perimeter.
100_2085.jpg

If I want them to have grass access on days I am busy, I put them in the tractor. A tractor also gives you the ability to isolate newcommers or sick or broody birds.
100_1865.jpg

Back
Top Bottom