permanent markers for chicks

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
I have several broods of dominique crosses I want to mark to broods. Later I will be marking with wing bands with intent of tracking individuals but would like to delay that until about 4 weeks post hatch.

Permanent markers are clear and give adequate color combinations. Plan is to apply marks to down on head and possibly primary wing feathers later. Anyone have a handle on mark retention rate or undesirable effects?

Sharpies and Marks A Lots are labeled as non-toxic, so should be plenty safe. The marks should stay on until the feathers come out. The Marks A Lots are flammable until dry, so don't let the chicks smoke until the mark dries.

i use pull ties... but you have to check them every day depending on breed of chicks... on bantams they last a bit longer... but for the giant cochins or shamo, it last them a couple of days sometimes...

Quote:
Day old chicks and limited time to apply.

Little colored zip ties work pretty good.

Sharpies, made in China, are Non Toxic with limited exposure to humans. I would not touch a bird or a egg with one when you can use water based food coloring and get the same effect. My bittys mean too much to me to use a Sharpie on one, but to each his own.

The markers will come off quickly. Think of how fast chicks start molting their down - especially Dom chicks. Not only that, but the marker itself will rub off the feathers.

Use toe punches. And don't even worry about buying a toe punch. A nice sharp pair of nail cutters, or really good scissors work just fine. Better, I think.

Back
Top Bottom