Permanently broody peahen?

FarmerGirl1010

Songster
Aug 19, 2020
I’m not sure what to do. It has been about three months now, and she’s still sitting on the same egg. She looks fine and can still walk. After I tried to get her up, she sat right back down. I never really want to interfere with anything, but this has been way too long. What should I do?

Never let a hen set on an egg more than a few days past the due date. It is very hard on them to prolong the incubating process.
Hi...I saw this post, so I hope you don't mind me asking. I have a peahen that is sitting on 3 eggs...30 days was up on Aug 20th...give or take a day ....how long should I let her sit? I keep hoping one will hatch? Is there a way to tell if they are still alive?

Hi...I saw this post, so I hope you don't mind me asking. I have a peahen that is sitting on 3 eggs...30 days was up on Aug 20th...give or take a day ....how long should I let her sit? I keep hoping one will hatch? Is there a way to tell if they are still alive?
If the eggs have not hatched by day 30 then you can gather all except one and take them inside to a dark room and candle them to see if there is any movement. If not, then take the last one and check it as well. If you can not candle and are certain you noted the right set date let her go to day 35 then remove the eggs that did not hatch.

Never let a hen set on an egg more than a few days past the due date. It is very hard on them to prolong the incubating process.

If the eggs have not hatched by day 30 then you can gather all except one and take them inside to a dark room and candle them to see if there is any movement. If not, then take the last one and check it as well. If you can not candle and are certain you noted the right set date let her go to day 35 then remove the eggs that did not hatch.
Thank you !

Back
Top Bottom