Permethrin spray

Pics
I just treated one, and I'm too lazy to apply cream, so I filled the bath/shower stal with 3" warm and let her sit for 30 minutes. Then I cleaned all the nasty, crusty stuff off, dipped the legs in Novalsan, and gave oral ivermectin. Couple spots were pretty raw, so kept her in a clean crate until they had a nice, healthy scab. Quite unorthodox according to what I have read, but didn't want to deal with repeat treatments.

And yes, I know ivermectin is not approved for laying hens, but this is an old hen that probably hasn't laid in years.

I just treated one, and I'm too lazy to apply cream, so I filled the bath/shower stal with 3" warm and let her sit for 30 minutes. Then I cleaned all the nasty, crusty stuff off, dipped the legs in Novalsan, and gave oral ivermectin. Couple spots were pretty raw, so kept her in a clean crate until they had a nice, healthy scab. Quite unorthodox according to what I have read, but didn't want to deal with repeat treatments.

And yes, I know ivermectin is not approved for laying hens, but this is an old hen that probably hasn't laid in years.
Doing all that seems much more time consuming than rubbing on some goop.
So I don't think 'lazy' is the issue.
wink.png

Did you have to treat your entire flock? Does anything work if only one bird is treated? I thought all the birds would have scaly mites if one does. Mary
They can and do spread, but very slowly.
I have some with them and some have never had them.
Can take a loooong time to see scales fully restored.

Last edited:

Doing all that seems much more time consuming than rubbing on some goop. 
So I don't think 'lazy' is the issue.;)

Did you have to treat your entire flock?  Does anything work if only one bird is treated?  I thought all the birds would have scaly mites if one does. Mary 

They can and do spread, but very slowly.
I have some with them and some have never had them.
Can take a loooong time to see scales fully restored.

It was one day of treatment vs. who know's how many, so I chose one day.

Did you have to treat your entire flock?  Does anything work if only one bird is treated?  I thought all the birds would have scaly mites if one does. Mary 

Thank you all for the great discussion. 

Does health of individual birds have anything to do with who they choose?

Maybe? I read somewhere that it's usually older birds that get them, but I have no idea if that true or not.

Back
Top Bottom