Permethrin spray

Pics
I thought the whole reply I typed got erased. But I see it accidentally got included to the quote part of the message... :rolleyes: It went as follows...
I could read it in the expanded quote....you can edit those to fix them.

Or you can on desk/laptop, not sure about mobile(that should be part of my signature :rolleyes:)

I could read it in the expanded quote....you can edit those to fix them.

Or you can on desk/laptop, not sure about mobile(that should be part of my signature :rolleyes:)

I wonder how many times I've been quoted and wondered why they did that but didn't reply, I never thought to open the quote. :p

I will keep the edit suggestion in mind for next time I accidentally do that! :oops: :D

My Internet connection is behaving badly (AGAIN) here today! I used to use carbaryl dust, when it was still legal, and then switched to permethrin dust. Both products were a total mess to use, had to be repeated, and caused my asthma to go nuts. No more dust here! The permethrin spray is easy and has good residual action. I go out at night and spray the birds and roosts from underneath, and lightly spray their backs, all while they are roosting. Also spray the walls and floor, right on the litter, and the nest boxes. everything is dry well before they are up in the morning. I don't get spray in the feed or waterers. I've done this once last fall, and a few weeks ago, and not had to repeat either time. Spinosad works fine too, but costs $$$$. DE is nasty and very ineffective. No way am I bathing 40 or 50 birds!!! Mary

YUCK! I haven't had lice here in a very long time, only mites. It makes sense that you have to spray where they are, and managing reinfestation can also be a pain. I saw some birds with lice only on their backs, nowhere near their vents, in another flock. They did spray twice, as I recall. Mary

I wonder how many times I've been quoted and wondered why they did that but didn't reply, I never thought to open the quote. :p

I will keep the edit suggestion in mind for next time I accidentally do that! :oops: :D
I'm the same. I wondered why there was no reply. Now I'll click and check things out. I do see that sometimes, like aart says, people do just quote without comment...lol.

Ugh, all the parasite talk makes my skin crawl. *shuddering* I haven't seen lice. That's a good thing. The idea of deplooming mites horrify me. :sick

Thank you for the replies. I made a judgment call, and we'll see if I live to regret the decision or not. I found out we do have permethrin in Canada and it IS labeled for chickens. :yesss: The owner of the store, totally steered me away from it...lol. Apparently everyone must use Carbaryl around here. The business supplies a lot of chicken people...lol. So I bought 2 canisters of Carbaryl, it's cheaper there. I'll buy the permethrin when we go back. Permethrin will be cheaper in the long run but it'll only work for summer application here.

Most of the dozen birds I saw with mites at last dusting have no evidence of mites. That's splitting feathers looking at the vent, above and below...under the wing and the belly/inner leg area for 15 seconds + waiting to see mite action. I checked the select roosters that were dusted before the hens and none of the ones I checked show any mite action, even the common offenders. All the checked birds still have Carbaryl residue on their skin. I check do check all the time, I don't want mites when I hug one.
upload_2017-5-23_20-15-7.gif

What's the dusting products like in the US? Here Carbaryl is a light pink and it's so darn sticky. It's not like flour, closest thing I can think of is electrically charged dust. I got Carbaryl on the paint on the side-by-side and I can't get it off with a pressure washer.

I use one cylinder for approximately 60 birds. They get dosed like 5 sides of a cube; bottom, 2 sides and under wings, top and the butt. They get dosed well. Ok...they get dosed excessively...lol! :lau I figure any powder that shakes off their bodies...coats the bedding and everywhere. In the back I checked 4 non treated chicks, the broody, her keet, and the chickens who sit on the ground and I didn't see one mite. I clean the nest boxes 2 days in a row after dusting, eggs get fed back to the hens at this time. I bed the coop with the nest box shavings regularly so nest boxes get completely cleaned out and re-bedded with fresh shavings every couple of days or so. Here the Carbaryl container says to treat after 20 days.

I've never seen mites on the walls or roosts...and I've used my magnifier and a flashlight. It's always mentioned to treat the coop but I never see anything. Seriously!
I plan on painting the walls of the coop/coops white (VOC free) to seal the wood and brighten. I just started vacuuming the walls to keep the dust down. (Don't laugh...lol!) :D

I'm thinking of treating the buildings/chickens with permethrin in late fall. I oil the roosts. While it makes it slippery at first for the birds, I'm hoping it stops the parasites. I'm treating for leg mites anyway, getting it on the roosts is par for the course.

Mary, aart, Eggsighted...when you spray and the hen has a fluffy butt...how does it reach the skin? I seem to have a hard time envisioning this...:D :confused:

Well, you CANNOT see all mites. Some varieties are microscopic. :hmm :) Of course, you already said you could see the ones you were treating for.. so maybe a dumb comment. :p

I pick up each bird at roost time and part their feathers, when I have two people. I always mess up and have a little extra run off though. If I didn't have 2 people I would probably part the feathers with the nozzle and give a quick squirt as close as possible. A cruddy trigger on the bottle slows me down..

I have never used dust because I don't like breathing crud, and I never needed it before I leaned about the permethrin which is very affordable, safe, easy to use, convenient, and requires no withdrawal time for eggs when used as directed. So I can't comment about the ones they sale here.

Glad to hear you're getting it knocked down. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom