mblack03

In the Brooder
May 16, 2020
Hi everyone!!

I've recently hit a little bit of a wall here and would really like some advice.
I have a 5/6 week old mallard, Moe, that has perosis/slipped tendon in her left leg. Recently, she's been doing great! She can stand like a normal duck and, while a little goofy looking, she can get around fine. Something that's a little worrysome lately though is her right leg.

Sometimes, her right leg will just completely fail her and give out. She'll usually give a loud peep or two and immediately fall to the ground; she usually isn't able to get back up for maybe 15 - 30 seconds. She usually gets right back up after. We felt around to make sure she hasn't slipped her right tendon, and nothing felt out of place or odd. This usually has happened after a bath when she's been overworking/compensating for her left, but today after a day of complete rest, she's fallen about twice. Is she just overworking it, or does it sound like her right really is giving and going lame?

Is there anything I can do, anything I can try? I've read threads of assisted living ducks just like Moe not making it because they just can't/don't want to walk anymore, and I don't want that happening to her. I want to help but I just don't know how, any ideas?

DuMor Chick starter + some Durvet niacin and electrolyte supplements in her food and water. We have another Durvet liquid complex coming soon, and once it's arrived we'll start administering it.

Do the hocks angle out?
Decided to send some photos in the end, ha.
30B49B9E-ED1E-412F-9F59-523F4E5C8493.jpeg

Pictured closer is her right leg. Her left bows out more than her right does- but I can't quite tell/compare.
2CA28056-6807-4D67-8CAE-AF674556C7DB.jpeg

Here's a (kinda) front photo. Her left clearly bows out more than her right does, but again I know this isn't a complete straight shot- sorry :,)

I know you spoke with a vet, so sorry if I've asked before, but what did he say, and suggest to do?

There are several conditions the can result in bowing of the hock joint in waterfowl, a niacin deficiency being one, but I do notice that she's a Mallard, a breed that is often affected by it due to there "low-ish" requirement compared to other commonly affected breeds.

If you want, I may be able to get in contact with an avian vet, send him a few pictures, and see what he thinks.

I know you spoke with a vet, so sorry if I've asked before, but what did he say, and suggest to do?

There are several conditions the can result in bowing of the hock joint in waterfowl, a niacin deficiency being one, but I do notice that she's a Mallard, a breed that is often affected by it due to there "low-ish" requirement compared to other commonly affected breeds.

If you want, I may be able to get in contact with an avian vet, send him a few pictures, and see what he thinks.
That would be beyond awesome, thank you. :hugs
If you'd like more images I'd be happy to send you some :)

Our vet mentioned nothing about a niacin deficiency, but did recommend that we stay on the supplements.

Back
Top Bottom