Pesto...

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by vfem, Oct 6, 2010.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    ...can I freeze this for later use?

I want to harvest my basil I have left, dry half and then make pesto and freeze it so I have it for my diet (great replacement for dips and sauces) all winter.

2. jobeibi

jobeibi Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2010
    Florida Panhandle
    Google search results point to Yes.

This eHow article gives instructions for freezing individual use amounts with an ice tray.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4531725_freeze-pesto.html

(I've also read that you can freeze eggs with the ice tray method.)

3. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Sweet! I will have to goto the $1 store and get some ice trays to do some that way. I'll do larger amounts for nights I make pasta. [​IMG] Thank you!

4. Ironmaiden

Ironmaiden Chicken Maiden

Jun 14, 2010
    Kansas
    Oh you bet! I've frozen it in snack bags, tinfoil cups, whatever I had on hand. After that I use one of those seal machines with the seal bag. It keeps it longer. Some recommend to leave out the pine nuts or cheese until ready to use. I never have though. Good luck!

5. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    TOTALLY freezable!

I make the pesto (in my blender) then scoop it by tablespoonfuls onto a baking sheet and put that in the freezer.
    When they are frozen solid I put them in a freezer bag.
    I can take out as many as I need: 1 T = 1 serving

6. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Make huge batches of pesto, then fill ice cube trays with it. Once they have setup you dump the pesto ice cubes into plastic storage bags. Repeat process until all your pesto is cubed. Terrific

7. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Thank you guys! This is going to be a weekend project for sure. Hubby won't be here to see the mess I'll make.... so perfect! LOL

8. Moabite

Moabite Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    Freezing is a great idea! I use baby food jars, but the ice tray idea seems better.

Pesto in eggs over ham with provolone cheese [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by