pet starling tips

yes i had a very strong bond with one of my starling she fell out of her nest and someone killed the other babies so we raised her sadly she flew away i cried for hours and i still cry we lost her at the age of 4 weeks

Have you seen the StarlingTalk site? Has some good info.

I've raised 3 starlings so far, the first I released cause she didn't like being contained and never warmed up to anyone but me. The third I raised just this year and she disappeared while outside a couple weeks ago.
The second one, named Raven (she had a big ego), lived in my room for 6 months, then outside in the pigeon cages for a few months until she started figuring out how to escape, then she flew around free. She could say "Hi Raven" and loved carefully landing on unsuspecting visitors backs so she could get a free ride inside. Her poop left a residue that was nearly impossible to get off so my family said no to her living indoors which made her try even harder to get in, she was very bratty ;). Around early spring she didn't come to the door one morning and we haven't seen her since, I'm hoping she found a mate and went off to raise some babies.
A tip; dog food gives them bad breath, and when I say bad I mean BAD. When I wasn't paying attention and she was sitting on my shoulder, she would - quicker than anything I thought possible - jump up, grab hold of my lips as a perch and stick her beak into my nostrils trying to pry them open... I think she thought there was food in there?! She would do the same to my ears :confused:. But anyway when she would do that I would get the full, steamy, wet dog smell of her breath. So maybe feed them like, *un-medicated* chick starter and bugs, after I started feeding her this she no longer had the same horrible breath.

Anyway, that was long, when I get to talking about starings it's hard to stop so um, ok, all done now, byee

Have you seen the StarlingTalk site? Has some good info.

I've raised 3 starlings so far, the first I released cause she didn't like being contained and never warmed up to anyone but me. The third I raised just this year and she disappeared while outside a couple weeks ago.
The second one, named Raven (she had a big ego), lived in my room for 6 months, then outside in the pigeon cages for a few months until she started figuring out how to escape, then she flew around free. She could say "Hi Raven" and loved carefully landing on unsuspecting visitors backs so she could get a free ride inside. Her poop left a residue that was nearly impossible to get off so my family said no to her living indoors which made her try even harder to get in, she was very bratty ;). Around early spring she didn't come to the door one morning and we haven't seen her since, I'm hoping she found a mate and went off to raise some babies.
A tip; dog food gives them bad breath, and when I say bad I mean BAD. When I wasn't paying attention and she was sitting on my shoulder, she would - quicker than anything I thought possible - jump up, grab hold of my lips as a perch and stick her beak into my nostrils trying to pry them open... I think she thought there was food in there?! She would do the same to my ears :confused:. But anyway when she would do that I would get the full, steamy, wet dog smell of her breath. So maybe feed them like, *un-medicated* chick starter and bugs, after I started feeding her this she no longer had the same horrible breath.

Anyway, that was long, when I get to talking about starings it's hard to stop so um, ok, all done now, byee

thanks so much.it sounds like you had an awesome starling. don't you just love them

Please follow the diet advice on Starlingtalk. If they do not get enough protein they have severe issues- so they really need to eat the dog food diet.

I have had a few. My first was my best friend in the entire world. His name was Shadow. I found him with a broken wing. I kept him as a pet and he was seriously my closest companion. While I had him I took in another out of the road who was a fledgling and just needed a few weeks to get stronger and then I let her go. Some years later I got Angel. I got her from a breeder on the east coast who shipped her to me via mail. I had her for a few years and then she unfortunately passed away due to unknown causes.

They'll forever be close to my heart.

I have a parrot now. But I will never forget my starlings.

Back
Top Bottom