Photograph of Rare Emooo Thing

briefvisit

Crowing
10 Years
Nov 9, 2013
20180615_130355.jpg
Only ever seen this once before: it's a roost only a couple of hours old. It rained last night, and this is almost certainly where one of the 'chicks' roosted.

You can identify the blessing as a roost blessing -- and I am still trying to work out how emus don't get their feathers in their blessings: some times they move around in a circle during the night, and it seems that sometimes they do not. Anyway, this photo may be as boring as a bus ticket to most people; but it is rare.

AND:
a few days ago, at age 22 months, Limpychick made an adult noise, maybe a male.

20180615_130617.jpg

We're almost a month into Winter, and Tooshtoosh and Limpychick are still going swimming in the dam -- which I can attest is freezing. All emus are always scratching themselves. Do they have mites or other? that may swims in the dam worth while?

And something extra: this is Baby Roo. It comes with Mummy Roo. You can walk to within about fifteen feet of them:
20180219_162912.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 1433554 Only ever seen this once before: it's a roost only a couple of hours old. It rained last night, and this is almost certainly where one of the 'chicks' roosted.

You can identify the blessing as a roost blessing -- and I am still trying to work out how emus don't get their feathers in their blessings: some times they move around in a circle during the night, and it seems that sometimes they do not. Anyway, this photo may be as boring as a bus ticket to most people; but it is rare.

AND:
a few days ago, at age 22 months, Limpychick made an adult noise, maybe a male.

View attachment 1433546
We're almost a month into Winter, and Tooshtoosh and Limpychick are still going swimming in the dam -- which I can attest is freezing. All emus are always scratching themselves. Do they have mites or other? that may swims in the dam worth while?

And something extra: this is Baby Roo. It comes with Mummy Roo. You can walk to within about fifteen feet of them:
View attachment 1433552

You're making us very jealous that you live down under!! I can only imagine how cool it would be to see a while Kanga Roo!!!

Thanks for the photos

Baby kangaroos are hilarious, C. There's a point at which their feet are wonderfully out of proportion to everything else. They have the power-to-weight ratio of a Ferrari. You can almost see the cogs going around in their heads as they're figuring it out: "Wow! I'm enormously fast. These feet can leap tall buildings at a single bound, and the rest of me just has to ride out on top. What fun!!"

[Just found a wild emu sitting quietly in the Winter sunshine about thirty yards from the house.]

Tee hee:

Hey, C. It goes like this:

we are priveleged to see an enormous of daily emoo stuff; but in ten years, we've only seen two incubating males. I once knew that Eric the Emu was nesting nearby -- of that we were sure. So I spent a week walking around in the gums, never got more than two hundred metres from the house-clearing, never found Eric: an emu hunkered down motionless in the litter is a hard thing to find.

Here is my all-time favourite photo. You will find on the Net photos of 'Safari-Park emus' sitting on eggs, but I have never seen such a photo of a wild bird. Here is Boy Emu, Greedy's consort, in 2013, about a hundred yards from my front verandah. He has a number of newly-hatched chicks under him at this point, and left the nest later that afternoon, with eight chicks
500x1000px-LL-45e82cd1_BENESTIING.jpeg
:

Back
Top Bottom