Picked up my chicks today

Sammy Sam

Songster
Dec 8, 2023
Edit: I’ll return the other light/heat set and only use one. They’re all so cute!!! Thank you.

Heading to the store for another heat lamp, because this one seems to only cover a small area. Picking up a thermometer too. Also by next week, I’ll put them in a bigger cage.

IMG_9862.jpeg

Last edited:
You don't need another heat lamp. The red heating bulb gets plenty hot. If you need one area warmer lower the lamp or use a sheet of aluminum foil behind the lamp to trap the heat rising from it.

Becareful using the red bulb, it's a infrared heating bulb. The material around the light will get very hot including the chicks.

But definitely get a temperature reader for your brood. You place it on the floor above the light.

I'll second @Tonyroo's comment. You don't need a second lamp. Their behavior will tell you what they need. They do need a place to get away from the lamp(s) if it gets too hot.
-If they continuously huddle together under the lamp, they are too cold and you should probably lower the lamp.
-If they don't go under the lamp, then it is too low and they are getting away from the extreme heat.
-They should spend a good amount of time under the lamp (not huddled), but also exploring and going over to their food and water periodically.

The lamp can definitely be a source of fire. Be sure that it is securely hung above them, ideally with 2 different ties in case one fails. A stick-up thermometer is handy.

Chicks_group1.jpg

I'll second @Tonyroo's comment. You don't need a second lamp. Their behavior will tell you what they need. They do need a place to get away from the lamp(s) if it gets too hot.
-If they continuously huddle together under the lamp, they are too cold and you should probably lower the lamp.
-If they don't go under the lamp, then it is too low and they are getting away from the extreme heat.
-They should spend a good amount of time under the lamp (not huddled), but also exploring and going over to their food and water periodically.

The lamp can definitely be a source of fire. Be sure that it is securely hung above them, ideally with 2 different ties in case one fails. A stick-up thermometer is handy.

View attachment 3701747
Thank you. I did get another light set, but by the time I got back home they weren’t under the light anymore and were exploring. They’ve been very active, eating, drinking, rooting through the bedding, sleeping under the lamp and sleeping away from the lamp. They take what looks like power naps and then they’re ready to go again. I’ll put a security camera in their room tomorrow, so I can monitor them better, but so far they seem to be doing really well. Thank you.

You don't need another heat lamp. The red heating bulb gets plenty hot. If you need one area warmer lower the lamp or use a sheet of aluminum foil behind the lamp to trap the heat rising from it.

Becareful using the red bulb, it's a infrared heating bulb. The material around the light will get very hot including the chicks.

But definitely get a temperature reader for your brood. You place it on the floor above the light.
Thank you. I was using a temp gun to check the temps in different areas and hights and placed the thermostat as low as I could, on the side of the crate to where the heating light hits it. When I clean their bedding tomorrow morning I’ll double check the placing of the thermometer. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom