Picky chicken

JNC

Songster
May 5, 2020
Kendallville Indiana, US
Since my chicken started sleeping on a shelf I have in the coop I decided to make it more comfy, so I put pine shavings on the shelf but she didn’t seem to really like it. She usually sits right away but this time she didn’t. I had to move some of the pine shavings and add grass then she decided it was comfortable enough. Is she just picky or just getting used to the pine shavings?
563C32EC-94ED-400B-9F03-6E4EDF142754.jpeg

that’s the shelf with the pine shavings but I would imagine that’s more comfortable than a bit of grass and hard wood?

Since my chicken started sleeping on a shelf I have in the coop I decided to make it more comfy, so I put pine shavings on the shelf but she didn’t seem to really like it. She usually sits right away but this time she didn’t. I had to move some of the pine shavings and add grass then she decided it was comfortable enough. Is she just picky or just getting used to the pine shavings? View attachment 2814374
that’s the shelf with the pine shavings but I would imagine that’s more comfortable than a bit of grass and hard wood?
Chickens hate change. I would remove all that insulation.
Can you post more pictures of your coop? How much ventilation does it have?

I asked the guy at TSC and he said I have to buy at least 4 chickens because I wanted to buy individual chicks and then he went on saying how it was a state law.
Hopefully you can find a chicken friend or 2 for your hen maybe on your local classifieds or similar?
...Chickens usually prefer to roost, if you can make a roost or use a thick branch on that shelf she might like to perch on that.

We found her in the woods and state law is have to buy at least 4 chickens and I can’t do that with the amount of space and time. But in the future I definitely plan on talking to a person with their own chickens to see if they will sell me just 2 :)
You're in IN there's no state law - that's store policy. You can find chickens all over the area you live in. I could be a chicken hoarder in the area if I wanted to with all that's available. 😆

Edited to add - That it is great that you are providing a stray chicken with a nice comfy home!

Last edited:
Hopefully you can find a chicken friend or 2 for your hen maybe on your local classifieds or similar?
...Chickens usually prefer to roost, if you can make a roost or use a thick branch on that shelf she might like to perch on that.
I do have a thick branch in there I’ll try to get a picture but she prefers to go on the shelf. Maybe because the shelf is higher?

Back
Top Bottom