Picky duck

Mills mini farm

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2020
We just got 2 ducks given to us. All they eat is oatmeal. I have tried All flock. They won’t eat it. One of them will not walk now . I have read some posts abt niacin and using bread as a way to give it to them. And they don’t eat bread. Any advice to help expand their diet?

Get liquid b complex mix a small amt
CDF64F37-19B1-42BC-BECD-6F08C39C2841.jpeg
of oatmeal along with a small amount of their feed mix the b complex into it let them eat the whole of it to get their whole dose. 1 ml is what they need. Sounds to me they are suffering niacin deficiency and the liquid b complex helps the best an quickest

Oat meal is not a well balanced diet so they are suffering from a deficiency, starting them off on oatmeal with a small amount of feed mixed in even warm water mash then as they eat it like that gradually take a little oatmeal away until they eating only their feed. Who started them on oatmeal?

Last edited:
Sounds like the previous owner wasn't treating them well, they were probably fed a scratch grain diet that would explain their reluctance towards normal duck feed, looks like they have some feather loss around their eye as well, which may indicate lack of deep water to dunk their heads in. I suggest you mix some duck feed/all flock feed in with whatever they will eat, you can slowly start introducing more amounts, and hopefully after a few days they will eat the duck feed with pleasure.

Pekins are fast growers that need a well- balanced diet, or they will suffer from leg problems as well as many other problems related to an incorrect diet. Since they aren't eating the duck feed I suggest you put some poultry vitamins in their water so they can at least get some needed vitamins. I'd probably start them on B complex also, since they are already starting to show signs of a B3 deficiency. @Miss Lydia Gave you the dosage for that. With some attentive care they should be good in no time.

Also....Welcome to BYC! :frow

Oat meal is not a well balanced diet so they are suffering from a deficiency, starting them off on oatmeal with a small amount of feed mixed in even warm water mash then as the eat it like that gradually take a little oatmeal away until they eating only their feed. Who started them on oatmeal?

A 20 some year old girl got them from friend. And then I got them.. I haven’t had ducks before so I am doing a lot of reading! This is a great sight for advice and support!

Back
Top Bottom