(Pics Added - Graphic) Prolapsed Oviduct! Please Help!

Bostonbea

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 25, 2012
Greensboro, NC
My sweet Gertie (20 week old) has never laid an egg and I found her with a bloody mess hanging out of her vent just now! There can only be what was undeveloped membrane/shell surrounding body tissue that honsetly looks like an organ. It looks like liver to me, but I know that is probably not right. I'm just not very versed in chicken anatomy. I cleaned as best I could and placed her back in the coop by herself. I will try to get pics though it is very graphic. She has been squatting and fluffing the nest lately so I thought her laying would be soon. Just didn't expect it to be so traumatic for her!

Any thoughts please!?!

Edited..

SoI've given her a warm bath and cleaned as best as I could. I also was able to feel around a bit more and believe that it is her oviduct. I've placed her in our dog crate with clean bedding and water outside next to the coop. Anything else?

Edited again...

I feel pretty confident that it's a prolapsed oviduct. What I need to understand is why. The following are pics of what was attached to the end of her oviduct. Is it membrane or shell that wasn't properly formed? Is she an internal layer and this is the result? Could she maybe not gotten enough calcium?

I truly appreciate any help you can give me! I'm new to this and my search in the forum has been very helpful, but I just have to know what is going on so I can try and prevent it in the future.

Last edited:
While I don't look forward to a picture, I do think it'd be helpful. Definitely keep her away from the other birds!! They may peck at the area. Do you think it could be an egg caught and expeled within the lining tissue of the intestine or cloaca??? If that's the case I'd bring her in the house, lube your hand up a little and try to "unroll" the tissue to try to work the egg out. Then you would need to kind of gently push the lining back up inside. I'd keep her in a dog crate overnight w/food/water.

I took pics, but I am having trouble with them. Had my camera set to RAW and can't figure out how to attach them. Don't think I can get hubby to stare at a raw chicken butt again. I searched other threads and chose to lube her with honey (only one of the suggestions I had on hand) and gently pushed it back in. I'll just keep an eye on her.

Let me go look back through my posts, because I saw something similar a few weeks ago. We'd kind of concluded that it was built up glitched egg tissue that could have stayed internal (bad), but was expelled (better). In that person's case, the bird did not prolapse.

If the tissue is staying in pretty well, I've actually read that Prep H can help with prolapses too. Poor bird!!

Thanks for looking. The tissue is not staying in and honestly it's a lot of tissue. Bless her little heart. She's breaking my heart crying for her sisters.

Here's the post I was referring to: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/690343/did-my-hen-lay-a-tumor#post_9360927
SpeckledHen is very knowledgeable, so read the last post too, because she includes a pic of a bird of hers with ovarian cancer. See if either is similar to yours.

I would keep her in for 24 hours, and just keep gently pushing the lining back up inside. But if it won't stay by itself by tomorrow evening, I'd probably put her down. Also, it's best to keep her in a dim area so discourage the egg cycle for now...

I'm sorry you're going through this...I would be a basketcase myself.

Thank you! I am upset and was hoping we would be blessed with perfect chickens. Your link hit the nail on the head. I do believe that it was "lash" and am curious as to what causes it. It seems that it was caught somehow and she pushed so hard she prolapsed. We will check on her in the morning, but I don't want the sweet girl to suffer.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom