***PICS*** Hen Stuck in Molt & Sick (Yellow Skin, Orange Comb and Wattles)

Some chicken skins are yellow. I do not know your breed.Compare her color with another chicken that you have . Her vent looks clean and free of lice or mites, no signs of gleet. With her *chewed* off look I thought it might be mites.Nasty little buggers.Start her on ACV/M it will boost her immune system and help her to absorb nutrients. Read post and the sticky about Fermenting Feed. You might want to consider that. I have had one chicken that looked a bit like that. She was really old and I discovered mites in the coop.

You are right that it is more than molt. Try the ACV, Garlic and FF for two weeks and see if any improvements. It will not hurt and only help no matter what is wrong.'ACV' does a bunch of good things, like reducing harmful levels of bacteria, and preventing algae, detoxification in some cases (such as those that are produced by botulism), and stripping the mucus from their systems, which also further improves nutrient/vitamin uptake, and boosts their immune system, and best of all? It can't hurt your birds, in any way. Vinegar - is perhaps one of the natural ingredients that many might call an all-round treatment for many conditions. Vinegar contains vitamins such as beta carotene, minerals, amino acids and the aforementioned enzymes containing ninety different components. Vinegars effectiveness includes: treating gas in puppies, kittens, and chicks; preventing urinary tract in male cats, formation of mineral stones and helps to dissolve hairballs.
Further claims about vinegar include lengthening life, improving hearing and vision, and calming nausea. Relief of conditions such as arthritis, sore muscles, pain, and osteoporosis; prevention of cancer, kills infection, conditions the skin, aids digestion, controls weight, preserves memory, slows aging of the body and mind and breakdown of joints, bones and cartilage. Small wonder the uses of vinegar as one of the natural ingredients extremely useful for your pets’ safety and health.

I would also introduce garlic:
Garlic - is sometimes called “natures antibiotic. With its ability to cleanse the liver and break down toxins in the blood, garlic not only helps repel blood sucking insects but also helps maintain a healthy heart and healthy skin and fur.
citrus and herbs - provides vitamin C, complex carbohydrates, and anti-oxidants which help reduce free radical damage to tissue and organ systems. Common kitchen herbs such as ginger, along with vinegar, help your pet digest

I will start her on ACV and garlic immediately. However, I only have the regular ACV, not the one with Mother - better than nothing for now. I will go grab some ACV/M later. No, she did not have worms in her poop. In fact, I have never seen worms in any of the droppings from any of the girls. I wonder if she got into something poisonous. She looks pretty good today. Ate mealworms, lettuce, carrots and grapes this morning. Hasn't touched her mash of crumbles, applesauce, yogurt, molasses and water yet. I still have her in the heated room and will let her outside this afternoon once it warms up. Poor scraggly little girl. Thank you delisha, Happy Chooks and litmisredneck so very much! Your advice is so valuable.

Jaundice/Liver Disease? Having a bit of trouble diagnosing. Ran out and got the ACV w/M. She's been out ranging with the other girls for about 3 hours now. I really want to get her strength and weight up, and her color back. Will bring her in to her warm room again for the night. Any further suggestions are welcome and more than appreciated. Thanks! Kelly

She had a good night's rest and is in her warm room until it warms up outside. Thanks so much for asking! Ate some mealworms and has lettuce, tomatoes, carrots and grapes in addition to her mash, crumbles and ACV water at her disposal. Hubby is nudging me to get her back out with the rest ASAP, so I think one more night in is about all he can handle. When she's out, she doesn't go in the coop and huddle in a corner or anything. If she does, I think we will have to cull her. I certainly don't want her to suffer at my expense. I truly appreciate everyone's help with her and will let everyone know how it goes.

She had a good night's rest and is in her warm room until it warms up outside. Thanks so much for asking! Ate some mealworms and has lettuce, tomatoes, carrots and grapes in addition to her mash, crumbles and ACV water at her disposal. Hubby is nudging me to get her back out with the rest ASAP, so I think one more night in is about all he can handle. When she's out, she doesn't go in the coop and huddle in a corner or anything. If she does, I think we will have to cull her. I certainly don't want her to suffer at my expense. I truly appreciate everyone's help with her and will let everyone know how it goes.
Colorado'sMamaHen.....tried to copy this here maybe to help you. I had a dominique, Prissy, that looked just like your SLW. After molting, she never regrew her feathers and the ones she did have were deformed. She went down pretty fast...very skinny when she passed away. Acted lethargic and basically wasting away. I couldn't figure it out either. The pathology report came back from Prissy and they said what she died from was a fungal infection of the airsacs. She didn't have any respiratory symptoms just weak, not eating, etc. Just thought maybe this would help you. Oxine is a wonderful product.....maybe it would help yours....I really think Prissy had other stuff involved to weaken her immune system because she had been like this for a year, but hopefully this will give you something else to think about. Hope your little hen gets better.
Susan
Me too aoxa......and the pathology report just confused me more.....that why I sent Prissy off, so I would know if the other hens could get what she had.....so I could treat them if needed.....But now, I still don't know......fungal infection of the airsacs? Where would she get this....is it something I'm doing or not doing? Geesh......frustrating sometimes.......
I had one case of a fungal infection in the lungs with one of my very good Houdans.

I did treat him with oxine as she mentioned, and it cured him in 3 days.
Speckledhen has a thread about it HERE.

If I saw this infection in any other bird I would have culled. However, there is a lot invested in my houdans.

All I can say he was doing differently than my other birds was wandering in my neighbours yard. He could have gotten some type of fungal infection from their property.
Quote:
Worth noting that he was very young at the time. Around 4 months old.

If he was to have it again, I will cull.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom