***PICS*** Hen Stuck in Molt & Sick (Yellow Skin, Orange Comb and Wattles)

I am still new to chickens, but i would try and get her to eat lots of protein. Mine love dry cat food. maybe find something that is high in protein and can be pureed and you can feed her with a dropper, I would also put electrolytes in her water and dropper that in her throat. Make sure she stays warm and just keep force feeding her with high protein and she might start feeling better in a few days

Should I go ahead and worm her then, just to be on the safe side?

She is getting better and better in terms of energy and eating. She loves her mealworms. I still have electrolytes/vitamins in her water too. Letting her outside after the temp is at least 60 degrees. (She was getting a little stir crazy!)

If she was stuck in molt, any ideas as to how long it will take to resume the process?

Last edited:
As long as she is getting stronger, I would go ahead and worm her. Just keep her full of protein and water. If she is stuck in molt, it may take months to get over it still. I'm sure she is going stir crazy, just let her get out to peck and graze and bring her back in and keep her warm. Sounds like you are doing the right things. If you still unsure or worried about the worming, you could wait another week or two, to let her build more energy. It will take a bit for the new feathers to grow back in.

Her skin is so yellow! Is this an indication of a liver problem?! I went ahead and wormed her. I will start her on the post-worming flush tomorrow. (Applesauce, yogurt, crumbles, little molasses and warm water). She is eating fairly well. LOVES her mealworms. She is finishing up her antibiotics today. I really don't know what else I can do. Gosh darnit. I did catch her preening this morning. :)

This bird is weak. You should not be giving her any more drugs. However, you are doing the right thing by offering her a variety of foods. Try her with some ground up pumpkin seeds for worming. Did you examine her? Flip her over and look at her vent? She might have something simple that has progressed. Take a picture of her vent area. Look at her quills and take a pictures of them up close. (The quills close to her vent). Post those.

Lol she might have been grooming, and if she is that is a good thing! Just keep doing everything you have and it sounds like she just might be on the road to recovery! Keep us updated please

Back
Top Bottom