Hoosiermomma

Songster
10 Years
Jun 6, 2009
S.E Ind
Picture113.jpg

Picture117.jpg

Picture112.jpg

Here is a pic of my male. I wanted to find out if since he has the white on his neck and one white feather on his back if when bred to white, we could possibly have whites or if we could still have whites even when bred to the ib hen. I am just contemplating future peas. In the one picture where he is displaying, he was trying to impress one of my 4 mos old welsummer pullets.

Picture125.jpg

Picture126.jpg

Here is a pic of the two 3 wk old blackshoulder chicks that we just got. I have them outside in a cage (in the pics). They wanted to get out so bad and join the peacock/hen and cochins. We have been keeping them inside and plan on doing so for awhile til they are used to us and begin to follow us around. Any suggestions on names for them???? Our older pair goes by Fred and Ginger.
smile.png

Hard to tell without knowing his background. Could be split white, dark pied(which is PURE pied) or a pied "with not much white". All these three genetically different birds can and do look just like him. Although it seems to be pretty uncommon for split whites to have white anywhere besides the wing tips and chin. My own guess would be that he's a dark pied but nobody will know for sure unless his parents are known(for example if he is out of a splashy pied pair, he is a dark pied most likely) or through breedings.

Breeding him to white hens will be an excellent "genetics test" for him:

If the chicks are all pied, then he is a dark pied.

If chicks are half white and half like him, then he is split white.

If chicks come out white and pied then he is a pied with not much white.

No chance of whites out of breeding with ib(or bs) hens.. Unless they are split white AND even then it will also depend on if he is dark pied, pied or split white.. only if he is either pied or split white can he ever produce white chicks. Dark pieds cannot ever produce whites.

Last edited:
Thanks Kev! I am not sure of his background but I was thought when I bought him the lady mentioned they were blue pied. Would that sound right?
hmm.png

Some new to breeding call dark pied, just pied.

My Guess he is Dark Pied, like Kev said hard to tell without knowing what the background.

I would breed him to White hens, next year. Then you will know from chicks.

Yea what he said.. there's a good bit of confusion about pieds and the "right names" for them.

In short, yes yours is a "blue pied", in a vague way. But we still don't know if he is dark pied or a pied with not that much white. I know this might seem odd but there's a genetic difference between the two. Doesn't rule out blue split white if the breeder had any pied x white pairs though.. but your male does look more typical of a dark pied however a pied with very little white can't be ruled out.

momto5rascals2angels, those peafowl look great. I might have to get permission from my wife to get me a few too. Keep the pics coming, good job on keeping them healthy.

Back
Top Bottom