Picture Of The Week (POW) Information & Submissions

I love the yokohama too. I have them separated into separate flocks, though the babies get to mix and mingle until I pick out my keepers. All my oddball birds live with my yokohama too because the yokos flock is easy to add new birds to. They do well with bantam roos as well if the bantam isn't too aggressive. Just no bantam hens with the yokos.

I have been trying to mix Olandsk with yoko but so far no luck. I have two little roos with (I think) the same color genes as my red shoulder yokos. So I made a small breeding flock with them. I know the roosters will keep trying...they just might be too small to succeed. 😂 Wish they had the bantam yokos in the U.S.!

I do have pictures! No recent ones but here's some old pictures. I don't show, so none of mine have the crazy long feathers. The people I know who do show keep their long tailed roos as single birds in round pens to preserve those tail feathers. In a flock those feathers get stepped on etc 😂 The ladies have pretty amazing tails too! Below are almost all hens. I'm also not a serious breeder...my birds only have to please me 😃View attachment 3720460View attachment 3720467View attachment 3720473View attachment 3720476View attachment 3720485View attachment 3720498
And last is one of the dwarf roos I'm hoping will make some pretty, miniature, yokoish babies for me. His tails only down for balance, but someday...🤞❤️View attachment 3720546
Gosh so beautiful!

Congratulations on being picked for Picture of the Week! 💕

I love the yokohama too. I have them separated into separate flocks, though the babies get to mix and mingle until I pick out my keepers. All my oddball birds live with my yokohama too because the yokos flock is easy to add new birds to. They do well with bantam roos as well if the bantam isn't too aggressive. Just no bantam hens with the yokos.

I have been trying to mix Olandsk with yoko but so far no luck. I have two little roos with (I think) the same color genes as my red shoulder yokos. So I made a small breeding flock with them. I know the roosters will keep trying...they just might be too small to succeed. 😂 Wish they had the bantam yokos in the U.S.!

I do have pictures! No recent ones but here's some old pictures. I don't show, so none of mine have the crazy long feathers. The people I know who do show keep their long tailed roos as single birds in round pens to preserve those tail feathers. In a flock those feathers get stepped on etc 😂 The ladies have pretty amazing tails too! Below are almost all hens. I'm also not a serious breeder...my birds only have to please me 😃View attachment 3720460View attachment 3720467View attachment 3720473View attachment 3720476View attachment 3720485View attachment 3720498
And last is one of the dwarf roos I'm hoping will make some pretty, miniature, yokoish babies for me. His tails only down for balance, but someday...🤞❤️View attachment 3720546
Gorgeous birds! Congrats on picture of the week :D

Dandelion dust bathing in the sun!
IMG_2084.jpeg

My sweet ameraucana
Chickies are so adorable and that is a cute chickie pose :)

Is your sweet chickie an actual Ameraucana or is she an Easter Egger? If Ameraucana, is she Blue Wheaten, Wheaten, Black, White, Blue, Buff, Brown-Red, Silver?

There is a difference between Ameraucana and Easter Eggers. Easter Eggers can lay Blue, Pink, Greenish-Blue, Tinted, or even White eggs and have tons of different feather patterns -- while Ameraucana breeders will perfect Ameraucanas in acceptable standard SOP color varieties and to lay as true Blue eggs as possible.

The average feed stores sell Easter Eggers and will call them Ameraucana, Americana, Ameraucana, or any spelling that alludes to the actual Ameraucana breed.

My avatar picture is a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana (not an Easter Egger) and her eggs were pale true Blue -- obtained from a private breeder and not a feed store.

Just a fun fact to share -- true Ameraucana breeders work diligently to keep the breed standard whereas feed stores and hatcheries sell a multiple of cross-breeds and Easter Eggers as "Ameraucana" or even some used to be labeled "Araucana" (a tail-less small South American chicken known for blue eggs) so that if a bird layed blue or green eggs they were all advertised as "Ameraucana." Reputable hatcheries in recent years have started truthfully calling their Easter Eggers by its proper name. Some hatcheriese have actually started offering true "Ameraucana" birds and they are much more costly than EE's.

EE's are wonderful birds -- they look similar to Ameraucanas, have colorful eggs, mostly sweet natures (as the Ameraucana is) yet it's taken decades to educate the general population that Easter Eggers are separate from true Ameraucanas. Easter Eggers are an off-shoot of the Ameraucanas but the birds are two distinct separate classifications.

I loved my Blue Wheaten Ameaucana but she only lived 3 years :(. She was a beautiful bird but too timid and was bullied in a mixed flock so we never introduced any more of the breed to our yard.
DSCN4074.JPG
DSCN4076.JPG

Last edited:

Congratulations on POW! :)

Back
Top Bottom