Picture Of The Week (POW) Information & Submissions

chicks waiting for the brooder to be cleaned
20210107_180249.jpg

Same thing. Americana is an intentional (IMHO) misspelling of Ameraucana to get people thinking they are getting an APA recognized breed rather than the EE that they are really selling. I have nothing against EEs, 5 of my 20 hens are EEs!! I don't currently have more than 2 of any other breed.
I wish I knew for sure what the difference is. I've tried researching but those ear muffs and beard throw me off.

I wish I knew for sure what the difference is. I've tried researching but those ear muffs and beard throw me off.
In general ear muffs and beards are expected in Easter Eggers. The APA Ameraucana breed was created using what was then known as Easter Egg chicken or Araucana. It was a mishmash of breeds that had been crossed with blue egg laying birds brought up from South America. At the time they could be tailed or tailless, muffed, bearded and/or have ear tufts. There were no standards.

The APA Araucana breed was created from the same stock by a different group of people and was accepted by the APA first so they got to choose the name and took Araucana which left the "tails, beards and muffs" people to come up with a new name, they chose Ameraucana.

In general ear muffs and beards are expected in Easter Eggers. The APA Ameraucana breed was created using what was then known as Easter Egg chicken or Araucana. It was a mishmash of breeds that had been crossed with blue egg laying birds brought up from South America. At the time they could be tailed or tailless, muffed, bearded and/or have ear tufts. There were no standards.

The APA Araucana breed was created from the same stock by a different group of people and was accepted by the APA first so they got to choose the name and took Araucana which left the "tails, beards and muffs" people to come up with a new name, they chose Ameraucana.
Very interesting!

Back
Top Bottom