Pictures of MPC Super Blue Egg Layer (SBEL) Eggs

Our other SBEL pullet, Ethel, who lays the nicer of the two in terms of the blue coloration gave us a 2.4oz'er yesterday-- no doubt it will turn out to be a double yolker too.

I've been patiently waiting for my super blue egg layer, Summer, to lay her first egg. I was surely not disappointed when she squeezed out this big, lovely blue colored egg today at 5 1/2 months old. Hers is the top left. The other eggs are from a polish, Easter egger, silver laced and Colombian Wyandottes. Bigger than any of the other hens that have already been laying for 3 weeks. She made a big fuss over it... and rightly so! She's quite a character... love her! Thanks for not disappointing, MPC!

I've been patiently waiting for my super blue egg layer, Summer, to lay her first egg. I was surely not disappointed when she squeezed out this big, lovely blue colored egg today at 5 1/2 months old. Hers is the top left. The other eggs are from a polish, Easter egger, silver laced and Colombian Wyandottes. Bigger than any of the other hens that have already been laying for 3 weeks. She made a big fuss over it... and rightly so! She's quite a character... love her! Thanks for not disappointing, MPC!

Congratulations! I'm so glad you wound up with an SBEL that lays a very nice color of blue. =) Very pretty.

What beautiful eggs! I hope to add some EEs in a few years.

EE's can give some great color to the egg basket- the green eggs in my other posts are from one of our EE hens.
The other EE lays a very light brown/pink egg-- almost white, no blue egg gene there. It's hard to know what you're going to get- they're "supposed" to be carriers of the blue egg gene, and I guess one is and the other isn't. We decided to go with the Super Blues to get a couple layers that have the blue egg gene to work with instead of the grab-bag nature of EE's, though I love my EEs!! It's fun to sell eggs to folks who haven't ever seen anything but a white or brown egg.

I would love to have a cream legbar rooster and breed him to different brown egg layers like black copper marans, brahmas and australorps to get offspring that lay different shades of greens. (It works that way, doesn't it??)

I would love to have a cream legbar rooster and breed him to different brown egg layers like black copper marans, brahmas and australorps to get offspring that lay different shades of greens. (It works that way, doesn't it??)

As long as the rooster carries 2 copies of the blue egg gene, it will give various shades of green from your brown layers, which would be really pretty from the marans! If it only has one copy of the blue, the other copy will be the white egg gene.

If the cream legbar roo has 1 blue and 1 white egg gene, about half your offspring will lay some shade of brown, and the other half will lay some shade of green. Unfortunately there's no way to know until you're looking at a good sized sample of the offspring's eggs, that slooooooow as molasses 6 month or more wait (21 days to hatch, at least 20 weeks to lay).

Back
Top Bottom