Pictures of my mystery gender bantam mixes

Brahmamama4

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Washington
Ok I posted about these guys or girls a couple days ago and finally was able to snap a couple pictures, sorry they aren't the best of quality. They like to hide behind their mom whenever I get too close! These are about 6 weeks old and supposedly Americana mix bantams. They hatched out of blue/green eggs. There's two of them, one black and the other is gray. Thanks for any help!

Black bantam in front

Black bantam

another one of the black bantam

Gray bantam

Gray

Grey is actually called blue in chicken colours.

Can't tell based on the images... I can't even tell what type of combs they have. Are they single?

They don't even have combs yet really. The blue one has what looks like the start of a single comb. Thanks for the gray=blue info. Total newbie here!

They don't even have combs yet really. The blue one has what looks like the start of a single comb. Thanks for the gray=blue info. Total newbie here!
No problem :) This is how it was explained to me .... The color, "blue," in the animal world is a grey shade, such as a blue heeler dog (it is grey). Grey chickens are called, "blue." Lavender is also called, "self blue," as another term. The easiest way to tell the difference in blue and lavender is by looking at the feather shaft .... blue has a dark shaft, and lavender has a light or white shaft. However, to confuse matters further - there are grey silkies - but they have chinchilla markings.
Example above. And another thing, your black chick is actually blue :p See the markings on it's chest? It's lacing.
_MG_3868.jpg
Here is a blue male Ameraucana I own. Kind of looks close to black.
_MG_3880.jpg
You can see it better here.

Those chicks could be BBS Ameraucanas. (Blue Black Splash).

They'd have to meet the standard of perfection. One looks to have feathered legs - so that's an EE (Easter Egger).

None should have single combs.

That's fascinating! This is why I love this website. So full of great info! I'll have to keep watching the combs I guess since they still are barely showing anything yet. Do you have any hunches on gender?

Back
Top Bottom