pictures of new homemade incubator. Any tips? advice?

bigtime400

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 8, 2011
Beloit
Here is my incubator. It has been holding temp fairy good. For the most part I have just been adjustiing the dimmer switch on the back and the thermostat hasnt turned on the light at all unless I have opened it up. I was thinking about moving the stat over by the light and the fan so it has more air flowing over those coils. The error factor on the stat was +/- 3.5 F . A little too much I think but I think that could be reduced by having the air flow over the coil.
A couple things. Do you think I need more vent holes? Is the one by the tray going to be an issue? I have some egg cartons to put in the tray.

Another thing I was worried about was room for the chicks after they hatch. The tray is removeable easily. Just unscrew those 2 screws on top pull the rod and lift it out.

Hindsight there are a few things I would have done diffrently.....but my plans changed a few times due to the fact that I tried to use parts that I already had, changing ideas, and things that flat out didnt work.

THe fan was nice. it was $6 at Menards and its a usb plug in just like your phone....so no need for a transformer and it pushes air better then a computer fan I think. The only reason I bought that was becasue I couldnt find the fan I tore out of my old comp.

I am thinking about moving the stat right above the mason jar with water...... does that sound good?

IMG_20110316_204434.jpg

IMG_20110316_204446.jpg

IMG_20110316_204453.jpg

IMG_20110316_204512.jpg

IMG_20110316_204521.jpg

IMG_20110316_204531.jpg
[/img]

bigtime..you're a genius! My husband wants to make me one really bad. He says something like this would be so much better than the Hovas that I use...
question..does that tray move back and forth..to move the eggs, instead of you? I don't use trays, I move them myself. I'm afraid the trays put them too close to the heater rods, especially in the one without air..I do have the air bators, much better than no air.
This looks great.

Only 1 suggestion, and that'd be to make the on/off button smaller so it can't get knocked which I've read more and more people doing lately.

Other than that, looking good
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom