Pied gene in chickens?

It is dark now, but if I remember I will get some and post them.
I am pretty sure that I read a paper on some research that was done in japan that discussed in part how the mottling gene can be expressed somewhat significantly even in birds that are heterozygous for the trait.
Talking about the Mo/W mottling mutation.

It is dark now, but if I remember I will get some and post them.
I am pretty sure that I read a paper on some research that was done in japan that discussed in part how the mottling gene can be expressed somewhat significantly even in birds that are heterozygous for the trait.
I have seen chickens with one copy of the mottling gene that have a scattering of white spots, but not this much white. Though I guess it could recede as the chick gets older.

I have seen chickens with one copy of the mottling gene that have a scattering of white spots, but not this much white. Though I guess it could recede as the chick gets older.
I agree, most of my ancona crosses have barely any white. The only easily recognizable trait that gets inherited almost every time is the spotted legs and feet. If you saw the more recent (very fuzzy) picture of it that I posted, then you can see it is losing the white and losing it fast.

First thing first, the “P” Gene is for Pea Comb and the “Pi” Gene is for Pied.
Here is what I found on the Pied Gene,
Pied/Mottle (Pi/Mo)
The pied pattern is recessive black and white as in Exchequer Leghorn. Research has shown that the pied and mottle patterns are due to the mottle gene. It is no longer accepted that 'pied' is a distinct gene from mottle, however it is not known why the mottle gene causes the pied pattern in some birds and the typical mottle pattern in others. Mottle causes a white tip at the distal end (end farthest from the skin) of the feather. Chicks with extended black and mottle (E/E mo/mo) as in the Exchequer Leghorn will often have black restricted from the belly and sometimes the head.
http://sellers.kippenjungle.nl/page3.html

Photos below are Exchequer Leghorns
300px-Leghorn_Exchequer_Haan.jpg
Leghorn_Exchequer_Hen.jpg

g Chris g
First thing first, the “P” Gene is for Pea Comb and the “Pi” Gene is for Pied.
Here is what I found on the Pied Gene,
Pied/Mottle (Pi/Mo)
The pied pattern is recessive black and white as in Exchequer Leghorn. Research has shown that the pied and mottle patterns are due to the mottle gene. It is no longer accepted that 'pied' is a distinct gene from mottle, however it is not known why the mottle gene causes the pied pattern in some birds and the typical mottle pattern in others. Mottle causes a white tip at the distal end (end farthest from the skin) of the feather. Chicks with extended black and mottle (E/E mo/mo) as in the Exchequer Leghorn will often have black restricted from the belly and sometimes the head.
http://sellers.kippenjungle.nl/page3.html

Photos below are Exchequer Leghorns
300px-Leghorn_Exchequer_Haan.jpg
Leghorn_Exchequer_Hen.jpg

g Chris g
More from Henk's sight.

Screenshot_20220801-211516(1).png

Neither for me.
I know pied guineas and pied muscovies. Pied to me is colored on top, white on bottom. (Simple answer)
A very young mottled is what I'd look at as pied looking.

Back
Top Bottom