Pigeon acting off. Odd poop?

Now I am beginning to think that one or maybe even both of the eggs I found under her this morning were from her, and the reason she isn't getting up might be because broody. Not sure, as I have not heard any high pitched squeaks that I usually hear from the broody scovies. Pigeon has never went broody yet, and there doesn't seem to be any down feathers lining her nest yet, but I grabbed a fake egg and put it in front of her, she immediately pushed it under her.
She doesn't seem to be obviously struggling to pass an egg like she was last night.

So they did an X-Ray and at least confirmed she doesn't have an egg in her. They said that there was a little bit of inflammation, but they wanted to do some blood tests for an extra $150 but considering I am doing this on borrowed money I cannot spend that much. She said they will prescribe her some antibiotic and hopefully she will perk back up. I ended up spending $512 to not get very much information. Depending on if she starts feeling better I may or may not have to bring her into my regular vet for a follow up. This is just very very bad timing.. at the moment I just don't have any money at all, 0$ in the bank account.
Did they send you home with tube feeding supplies, or say anything about her anorexia?

I relate about the expenses. In February and March I spent 3,000 on Thimbleberry. Saturday I spent about 800 on Pigweed. And on Friday Thimble is going back for her checkup with bloodwork. There goes another 400 at least. This is the part I did not anticipate when I got ducks... Their medical needs. I have doubled my work hours to afford them.

@SolarDuck , I'm deeply sorry for your loss. Pigeon lived a great life under your care, I don't think many would have provided the amount of work you did to treating her various problems. It is an unfortunate fact that birds are one of the hardest animals to treat for conditions in a veterinary clinic. Oftentimes when the birds are brought in they appear moderately stable, but internally they are close to passing. In vet school, we are thought to take high precautions with these birds, but the stress of being at a clinic, and handled by foreign people is enough to send them over the edge.
Again, very sorry for your loss.

@SolarDuck I'm just catching up on your traumatic situation with Pigeon. I've read lots of your posts and seen your sweet videos and the photos that you've posted of her previously. It's so clear that you loved her and gave her an amazing life, and did everything you could to help her. I empathize with your feelings about the vet, as well as the burden of the cost involved. It's so hard when our beloved animals die. I'm very sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom