Pigeon acting off. Odd poop?

Pics

SolarDuck

Free Ranging
Jan 31, 2020
My duck Pigeon has been acting off today. Earlier in the day she was just hiding under the coop standing up for a few hours, then I took her out from down there and she just went into the bushes to do the same thing. I brought her in and instantly got a weird poop. She's had egg laying issues in the past, but doesn't currently seem to be trying to pass an egg. She also kind of looks like maybe she has gotten a little bit bigger, but I'm not sure.

Attachments

• 20210421_154627.jpg
    20210421_154627.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 29
Aww, poor Pigeon. I'm sorry she's having issues again. Have you been giving her the calcium? Did your vet ever give you an anti inflammatory medication? When I had my duck who got chronically egg bound my vet had me keep some on hand to administer as needed. It helped with both pain and to reduce the inflammation in the muscles to allow the egg to pass easier.

For long-term use, Meloxicam (Metacam), or carprofen would be a better choice, but one can also use aspirin in a pinch, which is part of the same medication class (NSAIDS) as the ones mentioed above. Dose at 5miligrams per kilogram of body weight. You can imagine the inflammation that might go on having an egg stuck inside the oviduct for an extended period of time. Attempts to reduce the inflammation would likely help induce passage of the egg.

View attachment 2629247
Thank you, I put her in back in the coop with the other ducks and gave her about 1/4th of an aspirin tablet, I really hope she is feeling better in the morning.

Aww, poor Pigeon. I'm sorry she's having issues again. Have you been giving her the calcium? Did your vet ever give you an anti inflammatory medication? When I had my duck who got chronically egg bound my vet had me keep some on hand to administer as needed. It helped with both pain and to reduce the inflammation in the muscles to allow the egg to pass easier.
Yes I've been giving her the calcium every day, but no I didn't get any anti anflammatory from them ill have to ask

Yes I've been giving her the calcium every day, but no I didn't get any anti anflammatory from them ill have to ask

For long-term use, Meloxicam (Metacam), or carprofen would be a better choice, but one can also use aspirin in a pinch, which is part of the same medication class (NSAIDS) as the ones mentioed above. Dose at 5miligrams per kilogram of body weight. You can imagine the inflammation that might go on having an egg stuck inside the oviduct for an extended period of time. Attempts to reduce the inflammation would likely help induce passage of the egg.

1619053713583.png

I'm just breaking down I cant..
I am so so sorry she passed away. I know how much you love her (and your other girls - and even the ducks at the park). You are clearly someone with a very big and caring heart.

I’m just seeing these updates now but when I saw the last video you posted of her, I just thought “uh-oh”. When my duck Olive passed away from a slow, inevitably terminal condition, that was how she acted in her last minutes. And the wobbly, melty walking preceded that by a couple of days.

Pigeon was an amazing, friendly, sweet duck. Thank you for sharing her with us in your videos - they expanded my understanding of the kind of close human-duck connection that can exist. Hoping your heart finds healing soon.

Back
Top Bottom