Pigeon acting off. Odd poop?

Aww, poor Pigeon. I'm sorry she's having issues again. Have you been giving her the calcium? Did your vet ever give you an anti inflammatory medication? When I had my duck who got chronically egg bound my vet had me keep some on hand to administer as needed. It helped with both pain and to reduce the inflammation in the muscles to allow the egg to pass easier.
Yes I've been giving her the calcium every day, but no I didn't get any anti anflammatory from them ill have to ask

Yes I've been giving her the calcium every day, but no I didn't get any anti anflammatory from them ill have to ask

For long-term use, Meloxicam (Metacam), or carprofen would be a better choice, but one can also use aspirin in a pinch, which is part of the same medication class (NSAIDS) as the ones mentioed above. Dose at 5miligrams per kilogram of body weight. You can imagine the inflammation that might go on having an egg stuck inside the oviduct for an extended period of time. Attempts to reduce the inflammation would likely help induce passage of the egg.

1619053713583.png

For long-term use, Meloxicam (Metacam), or carprofen would be a better choice, but one can also use aspirin in a pinch, which is part of the same medication class (NSAIDS) as the ones mentioed above. Dose at 5miligrams per kilogram of body weight. You can imagine the inflammation that might go on having an egg stuck inside the oviduct for an extended period of time. Attempts to reduce the inflammation would likely help induce passage of the egg.

View attachment 2629247
Thank you, I put her in back in the coop with the other ducks and gave her about 1/4th of an aspirin tablet, I really hope she is feeling better in the morning.

I could see it still looked like she was struggling through the coop cam this morning, so I gave them a couple hours more than I usually do before letting them out. She had 2 eggs under her, but I believe they were from Puffin and Karen, as they looked completely normal. Should I give her another dose of the calcium supplement today? OR should I wait until she passes her egg?

Now I am beginning to think that one or maybe even both of the eggs I found under her this morning were from her, and the reason she isn't getting up might be because broody. Not sure, as I have not heard any high pitched squeaks that I usually hear from the broody scovies. Pigeon has never went broody yet, and there doesn't seem to be any down feathers lining her nest yet, but I grabbed a fake egg and put it in front of her, she immediately pushed it under her.
She doesn't seem to be obviously struggling to pass an egg like she was last night.

Okay yup, she definitely is feeling broody. She was under the coop at bedtime and once I got her out I realized she had a little nest down there, and I started hearing the squeaky broody muscovy chirp from her. Is there anything I can do to check if these eggs are good to eat or not? I just want to make sure they aren't old.

Attachments

• 20210422_201305.jpg
    20210422_201305.jpg
    727.3 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom