Pigeon egg incubating.

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by lightchick, Mar 18, 2015.

1. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    I had two Birmingham Roller eggs abandoned because I didn't get the nest boxes in soon enough and the parent just laid the egg on the floor and left it. I put it in a egg carton and waited until the second egg was laid and then I put them both under a makeshift incubator. They have been incubating for 5 almost 6 days. Today one of the other pairs (West of England's) laid their first egg so I was wondering if I could put the Birmingham Roller eggs under them after they lay their second egg? Could they handle 4 eggs? I'd take care of the BR squabs after they hatch so it wouldn't overload the WOE pair. I know the eggs I've been incubating are alive because I candled them yesterday and I could see the embryo.

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Your major problem is that once the squabs hatch they must be fed pigeon milk by their parents, which is a lot of work. Normally a pigeon can only handle two squabs at a time so if you want to keep your birmingham's alive you're either going to have to sacrifice the WOE'S or you're going to have to get squab formula and try to hand feed, and all the people that I've met who have done it don't have success.

3. lightchick

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Yes, that's what I'm planning on doing. I've researched everything about feeding etc. So they can handle four eggs? And would I have to take the Birmingham's out of the nest before they start hatching so it doesn't mess anything up for the WOE squabs? I'd just put them back in the makeshift incubator the last days before hatching because they'll hatch 5 days before the WOE babies. I'm going to feed them Kaytee Exact formula with a modified syringe.

4. Twistedfeather

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    No I don't think your WOE can handle four eggs without abandoning the whole thing. But if you want to handle hand-feeding yourself than go ahead. But there are certain things that are in the pigeons milk that a lot of pigeon squabs need in order to thrive that most formula companies don't have to offer. Hand raising parrots is a slightly easier task because they can eat the formula that companies have to offer.

Many breeders pick a pair of poor quality but good parent pigeons so that they can have them incubate those eggs instead. But it has to be size appropriate to the breeds. A portuguese probably couldn't handle a king.

1 person likes this.
  5. lightchick

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Could they handle three? I'm just trying to figure out the best way to incubate the eggs. So I can only hand incubate? Wow. That's a bit of a bummer. I wish I could get one of the pigeons to at least incubate. I can handle the feeding part.

6. Twistedfeather

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    If you are one to experiment I'm sure they could but it's risky and I'd almost just keep them in an incubator and then as soon as you can get them out of there because they won't find food by themselves. All that's really important right now is the willingness to experiment and accept and learn from the results

7. lightchick

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    That's pretty much what I'm doing here.
    I didn't even know if incubating them with a heat lamp would work but it seems to be working OK. This is what I'm doing at the moment.
    [​IMG]
    The stuff animals are for insulation. LOL!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  8. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    When it comes to hand raising a new hatch squab. GOOD LUCK !! There are more failures than successes.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  9. lightchick

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota

10. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by