Pigeon Fanciers

There are so many breeds and cross breeds of pigeons it is hard to know for certain what your visitor pigeon is.

That being said I would guess it is a Modena Pigeon.

The Modena is a non ornamental, show pigeon in that it's distinctiveness is not derived from feathering, but rather conformation and markings.

The pigeon is not know for it homing or flying ability.

Here is a link or two:

I am guessing the owner lives only a short distance away. They are such poor fliers (compared to Racing Homers).

Run a Google search on Modena Pigeons for a wealth of information & clubs.

Last edited:
That is a Modena. They are show birds and very poor fliers, as you've noticed. Definitely catch him or he will soon be eaten by something. Then you can post the info on the leg band and I can help you find the owner (or at least the person who bought the band).

I'm a pigeon lover and I do shows and I keep them for fun and for pets and I sell some too. I have 1 fantail pigeon 1 ringneck dove ( just saying this breed is very friendly and are awsume to keep) i have 2 chinese owls 4 pretty barn pigeons 1 orental roller and 1 show tippler

thumbsup.gif
welcome-byc.gif

Are pigeons very hardy??? I had a dog pull almost all the feathers off the body of her so do you all think she could live though it??? I have her under a heat lamp because it is cool here and she is walking around the cage. WISH Me and HER luck!!!
fl.gif

I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK SO I HAVE A BIGGER BARN AND WE HAVE A BUNCH OF BARN PIGEONS IN IT. BUT ABOUT A MONTH AGO I NOTICED THAT THE MALE BARN PIGEONS HAVE BEEN FLYING DOWN AND IT SEEMED TO ME THAT THEY WERE BEING FRIENDLIER BUT IT TURNS OUT THE NEXT DAY ONE WAS FOUND ON THE GROUND DEAD. I DIDN'T THINK IT MATTERED MUCH SO I JUST THROUGH IT IN THE WEEDS. BUT AFTER THAT INCIDENT MANY OTHER MALE PIGEONS HAVE BEEN DYING MYSTERIOUSLY. I HAVE NOTICED THAT THEY ALL DIE WITHIN A HALF AN HOUR TO 24 HOURS. BUT ONLY YESTERDAY I FOUND A FEMALE DEAD AND TODAY I FOUND A LITTLER ONE THAT WAS ON THE GROUND AND COULDN'T FLY AND ALMOST SEEMED LIKE HIS LEGS AND WINGS WERE NOT WORKING THAT WELL. SO FAR I HAVE FOUND ABOUT 8 DEAD PIGEONS ON THE GROUND NOT COUNTING TODAYS' AND THERE IS STILL MORE DEAD IN THE RAFTERS. THE THING IS THAT I REALLY DON'T WANT WHATEVER IT IS TO SPREAD TO MY OTHER PET PIGEONS AND THE ONES THAT I SHOW.
IF THERE IS ANYTHING THAT YOU CAN HELP ME WITH PLEASE TELL ME.
hit.gif

The only thing I can suggest is to keep your pet and show pigeons away from the infected flock.
I am sure you are already taking safe guards against that.
It sounds like your barn birds may have ingested some sort of toxin.
It maybe some form of pigeon pox or Marek's Disease.

I would dissect the next victim in your barn flock and check it organs for tumors

Marek's Disease - Occurs mainly in chickens under 16 weeks of age. Symptoms: Leg and/or wing paralysis, high mortality, tumors on visceral organs.

Check this out:.

http://www.avianweb.com/sickbirdweaklegparalysis.html

Last edited:
HI EVERYONE JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT THE BAINTY EGG THAT I SLIPPED UNDER MY PIGEONS HATCHED ABOUT A MONTH AGO AND IS PERFECTLY HEALTHY I'M SO EXCITED TO TRY IT AGAIN.
wee.gif
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom