Pigeon Fanciers

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Mary Of Exeter, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    I was just wondering how many other pigeon fanciers there are on the site [​IMG]
    And do you just have them for fun/pets, or competitions like rollers, pigeon racing, or showing?
    What breeds do you have?

I just had to take a break from this chicken streak I've been on lately....or else I might turn into one! [​IMG]

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    We have modenas, english owl, norwich cropper, voorburg shield pouter, valencian thief pouter, swiss mondain and some shield marked racers......

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I had a pair of parlor rollers
    and a pair that just showed up at my house one day (different days)....one was racer who itried contacting the club it came from and never got a responce and theother was a nontagged normal looking pigeon hen.

I miss htem so much would raise any sort of pigeon again just because I really like them. deffinatly like them a lot more than doves.

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Racing homers, and english trumpters.

[​IMG]

5. Kramer Farms

Kramer Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Right now I hav English Trumpeters, brunner pouters, and ice pigeons.

6. Mary Of Exeter

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Wow, you guys have breeds I've always wanted!
    Norwich croppers and ice pigeons. They're some gorgeous birds [​IMG]
    Those trumpetes are pretty too.

I also like pigeons more than doves. Mostly because you can let them go and they come back. Poor little doves have a hard enough time finding their way around the building [​IMG]

7. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    I raise Homers, I do not race them but I do breed for unique colours and nice type.

I handraise most of my young ones, esspecially out of pairs that produce really odd coloured ones. I like nice and Calm birds, and when handraised, homing pigeons are wonderful and calm birds. I try not to raise more then 10 at once tho, its just such a mess when you have 10 babies pushing eachother away from the bottletrying to get at it....

Its a lot of fun though!

8. Mary Of Exeter

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Oh I love getting fancy colors in my birds. Of course since I race now, color isn't the most important thing...but I still like the surprises [​IMG] I'm going to try to get some blacks to mate with my indigo birds...so that hopefully I'll have a flock of andalusian homers to kick everyone's butts with [​IMG]
    (I'm a color genetics nerd, by the way [​IMG])

I don't feel very comfortable with hand raising babies unless I have to. I feel more safe letting the parents do the job. But once they're weaned I usually start handfeeding them seeds and peanuts to get them tame. Then before I know it, I've got a pigeon on each shoulder, foot, knee, and one on my head! [​IMG]

9. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    me too.. love playing with opal, the colour produced is just brilliant.. [​IMG]

10. Mary Of Exeter

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Opals are great [​IMG] There's only but a million different variations of Opal to play with, even in Recessive red. Turns those pink. Everyone around here would probably have a fit if I showed up with a bunch of pink birds [​IMG]

Good thing I have chickens to play with color-wise. If not, then I'd probably break down and breed all my racers to have crazy colors [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by