Pigeon Fanciers

I don't have pet piegons it would be cool to get some fancy ones though. We did take in a baby piegon we found behind a vending machine at quicktrip because all the other chicks were dead and I raised it up and it lives outside in a cage at the momment. Even though I raised him and feed him he's a mean sucker he bites and makes these odd noises and flaps everytime I try to change his water or food.

All pigeons have different personalities. Some are very cocky and like to show you who's boss (I personally like the fiesty birds
tongue.png
) and others are mellow. Then there's the ones that are naturally so timid they seem to never tame. I think you'd like fantails. Indian fantails are my favorite. They're calm birds.

Destiny, pretty birds
smile.png
That nun isn't dun for sure. I'm thinking either it's just a dark red (if it is recessive red, it looks like it COULD be bleeding through in the flights, maybe to some brown underneath) or a spread brown with bronze maybe.

I recently got chickens but had raised and raced homers as a kid. I was thinking of getting some all white homers so I could do some wedding releases, possibly in conjunction with hosting weddings on our property.

I did have a question about disease transmission between chickens and pigeons if they are kept in proximity to one another. Anyone know the answer to that?

By the way, "color" does not have a "u".
smile.png

Color can also be spelt colour. Makes you sound French
tongue.png

Anyways, chickens are more likely to spread some diseases to pigeons than pigeons are to give them to chickens. Or so some studies have found. There are some diseases chickens get that pigeons don't, and vise versa. Like for example, pigeons get pigeon pox, while chickens get fowl pox - two different strains of avian pox. Also, pigeons are P-PMV, or pigeon paramyxovirus. But while there are differences, there are some shared ones too. Like salmonella/paratyphoid and e. coli. If I'm not mistaken, I believe chickens can get canker (trichomoniasis) too.

Regardless, I think if you have chickens around pigeons, they'll be fine. The worst you'd have to be concerned with is worms and coccidiosis, which they can easily pass around. My chickens and pigeons are not kept in the same place, but I have had a few chickens in an aviary with pigeons and quail before. Never had a problem health wise (other than worms of course, being out on the ground).

Hey there,

I love the pigeons too. I have a small flock of Lahores----Blue, Black, Lavender Khaki/Cream and Brown. Am hoping to get some Indian Fantails and Ringneck Doves, but I would love a pair of the Barkel's Lemon Racing Homers!

Take Care,
Bill.

Does anyone have any pouters? My female just died and I have a poor boy that is lonesome... It was so sad - I found him cooing over her body.
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom