Pigeon help please

ODEY587

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 22, 2011
i have a german owl that is setting on eggs, this is my first time haveing babys is there a special feed i need to feed the mother when the babys hatch or will she regurgitate the corn and seed into the babys? thanks for any input , Josh

Initially both the father and mother feed the young 'pigeon milk' and gradually switch over to regurgitated feed/seeds.

Hopefully you are feeding a complete pigeon ration. Good luck.

"Pigeon milk" is a product produced in the crops of the parents which they then feed to the squabs. Any product made especially for feeding pigeons. For German owls, a feed with a high proportion of corn might not be good because of their relatively short beaks and small size. There are special products offered for use with short billed/smaller birds. Although it's a little low in protein, a GOOD wild bird feed might suffice.

Quote:
This is what I use, and my ringneck doves live it, can i permanently switch to just pigeon pellets? The bird seed for the doves is costing me an arm and a leg. And i noticed they eat the pellets often.

I have had pigeons for over 45 years. Have fed any thing from pig pellets to chicken pellets. Lots of grain mixtures. Once they tag a bag as "pigeon" feed, then they can charge much more for it. Whatever you are feeding the adults, if it is a complete balance it will work for the babies.

Back
Top Bottom