Pigeon invader!

Camofrog

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 10, 2010
I am a new chicken owner (and new to this site--this is my first post) but I have an unusual first question.

Is it common for pigeons to end up in chicken coops? When I went to let the chickens out of the coop this morning, there was a dove sleeping inside as well. It must have entered during the day yesterday. Since it was asleep, I just let it be this morning. When I came home from work, it was out of the coop but still sleeping, now tucked up against a portable pen I put the chickens in during the day. I picked it up and put inside the pen with chickens so it wouldn't get snatched by a hawk. When I put the chickens in the coop for the night, I put the pigeon back in with them.

Is this bird sick? Does it want to be a chicken? Does this happen a lot? What's going on here?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Greg

welcome-byc.gif

It could be a lost pet, or just taking advantage. Does it have a leg band? Is it a pigeon or a dove?
I'd advise against keeping it with your chickens as they can carry diseases that can transfer to your chickens.

No leg band, it was a common rock pigeon.

I say "was" because it didn't survive the night in the coop this time. It was deader than disco this morning, and there was a dark green stain in the sawdust where I had placed it last night. I guess it was sick after all. The chickens seem okay this morning; I hope they didn't catch whatever the pigeon had.

Yep, a sick pigeon looking for someone to help it. There's a lot of ferals that hang around barns and such to take advantage of spilled feed/seed, and often take up home there with the chickens and other animals. He may have been on his way to or from one of his hangout spots, and was just too weak to go any farther. Seeing birds having a feast was probably like a pond in a desert to him
tongue.png
Poor little guy! I'm sure your chickens will be fine though, just get up the green sawdust.

Back
Top Bottom