Pigeon Questions

The seed mix has most of what you mentioned, so I think it will be a decent base feed.

Good stuff. If you plan to keep the bird, just try to find a pigeon or dove feed. Buy a big 40-50lb bag (at a feed store that shouldn't cost much more than $20) and it will last you a long time if stored properly.

I got some grit at the store, it's a granet grit for finches and such, it has the anise already in it. I haven't seen it go for grit yet, but I have seen it eat and drink.

Sometimes they will not touch the grit for some time, then they will use it. Just keep it available for the bird and make sure it is kept clean and not soiled. If you have a chance to add some crushed oyster shells that would be good, but I have heardcrushed egg shells would work too for a calcium supplement.

I left the food in there for the 1st 24 hours because it acted like it was half starved and it was eating grass seeds when I caught it, but I removed the food this morning and left a little bit of feed scattered on the bottom of the cage for it to eat today.

That's fine, and probably was wise. When I get new squeakers from other lofts, I will keep food constantly available for them for the first few days. But eventually don't keep food in there constantly. Pigeons will over eat, and over eating is not good for them. A full grown pigeon needs about 45 grams of food per day. If you don't want to bother with measuring, just offer the food for 20 minutes morning and night. The bird will catch on. They actually prefer routines.

Tonight we are going to brace up the wing, basically put it in a sling so it's not tripping on it all the time and dragging wing feathers through poop.

Since it seemed to like the bowl better with the seed in it, do you think giving it a bowl with some "sweet PDZ" in it would work? Then if it pooped in it, I could just scoop it out. Plus, apparently chicks can use the PDZ as grit since it's a small rock.

Good question, I'm not sure. Another thing that would work is diatomaceous earth powder (food grade). Dusting them in that also removes parasites, something you should be vigilante about since it is a feral, and maybe you have other birds in your home.

This weekend I will take it and put it in the bathtub with a dish of water so it can take a bath and not make a massive mess.

Good. You'll have fun watching how much the pigeon loves it. A weekly bath with borax is nice, not only does it clean the bird, but also makes their feathers look nice. A daily bath offered in their cage of just plain water is usually something they enjoy, but they do splash around a lot, so it will make a mess lol.

Just be aware, they like to get in the bath, splash around for a few minutes, THEN they get out and sort of sit around "poofed" up and preen at their feathers. So, since your bird can't fly, just make sure it has somewhere to go since you're using a bath tub. Honestly, something like a 4-6" deep 10x20" tupperware container might work better than your bath tub.

Also, somehow, the bird hasn't managed to mess up it's water, so there is that... lol

Surprising!

Thanks for replying. I will try to get some good photos of it tonight when we have it out to work on the wing and post them on here. Any chance that you could tell if it is male or female from a photo? I have read that it is difficult to tell.

Please share photos! Best of luck. Not many pigeon people on there, but there are a few, and all willing to help.

I was new to pigeons this past spring, but keeping them properly required a big acquisition of knowledge--a lot of reading and asking questions--so at this point I know a bit about caring for them thankfully.

Last edited:
The seed mix has most of what you mentioned, so I think it will be a decent base feed.

Good stuff. If you plan to keep the bird, just try to find a pigeon or dove feed. Buy a big 40-50lb bag (at a feed store that shouldn't cost much more than $20) and it will last you a long time if stored properly.

I got some grit at the store, it's a granet grit for finches and such, it has the anise already in it. I haven't seen it go for grit yet, but I have seen it eat and drink.

Sometimes they will not touch the grit for some time, then they will use it. Just keep it available for the bird and make sure it is kept clean and not soiled. If you have a chance to add some crushed oyster shells that would be good, but I have heardcrushed egg shells would work too for a calcium supplement.

I left the food in there for the 1st 24 hours because it acted like it was half starved and it was eating grass seeds when I caught it, but I removed the food this morning and left a little bit of feed scattered on the bottom of the cage for it to eat today.

That's fine, and probably was wise. When I get new squeakers from other lofts, I will keep food constantly available for them for the first few days. But eventually don't keep food in there constantly. Pigeons will over eat, and over eating is not good for them. A full grown pigeon needs about 45 grams of food per day. If you don't want to bother with measuring, just offer the food for 20 minutes morning and night. The bird will catch on. They actually prefer routines.

Tonight we are going to brace up the wing, basically put it in a sling so it's not tripping on it all the time and dragging wing feathers through poop.

Since it seemed to like the bowl better with the seed in it, do you think giving it a bowl with some "sweet PDZ" in it would work? Then if it pooped in it, I could just scoop it out. Plus, apparently chicks can use the PDZ as grit since it's a small rock.

Good question, I'm not sure. Another thing that would work is diatomaceous earth powder (food grade). Dusting them in that also removes parasites, something you should be vigilante about since it is a feral, and maybe you have other birds in your home.

This weekend I will take it and put it in the bathtub with a dish of water so it can take a bath and not make a massive mess.

Good. You'll have fun watching how much the pigeon loves it. A weekly bath with borax is nice, not only does it clean the bird, but also makes their feathers look nice. A daily bath offered in their cage of just plain water is usually something they enjoy, but they do splash around a lot, so it will make a mess lol.

Just be aware, they like to get in the bath, splash around for a few minutes, THEN they get out and sort of sit around "poofed" up and preen at their feathers. So, since your bird can't fly, just make sure it has somewhere to go since you're using a bath tub. Honestly, something like a 4-6" deep 10x20" tupperware container might work better than your bath tub.

Also, somehow, the bird hasn't managed to mess up it's water, so there is that... lol

Surprising!

Thanks for replying. I will try to get some good photos of it tonight when we have it out to work on the wing and post them on here. Any chance that you could tell if it is male or female from a photo? I have read that it is difficult to tell.

Please share photos! Best of luck. Not many pigeon people on there, but there are a few, and all willing to help.

I was new to pigeons this past spring, but keeping them properly required a big acquisition of knowledge--a lot of reading and asking questions--so at this point I know a bit about caring for them thankfully.

The grit mix that I got actually has some oyster shell in it, I can add some ground up egg shell on the side as well.

I don't have any other birds, so I don't have to worry too much about what this one may have, I don't handle anyone else's birds either.

For the bath, I was going to give it a pan of water to play in, but put the pan in the bath tub so that the mess is contained and can drain rather than splashing all over my carpet. I think I have a kitty litter pan that I'm not using that I can clean up and turn into a bath tub.

One thing I forgot to respond to on your other post, the cage is inside, but it is just inside a window, so it does get indirect natural light, plus, I can take it outside on the weekends and hang out with it to let it get more light.

If it looks like it will be a permanent addition to my little zoo (6 horses, 7 cats, a dog, a fish, and now a pigeon) then I will fix something up at the farm for him with a wired in area that he can get outside and enjoy the sun (can even put a bath out there when it will just go into the ground...) But that would probably be in the spring or early summer so that it has time to adjust to the temperature as it gradually gets cooler at night since it will be in the heated house over the winter.

Oh, will they eat mealworms? I have some (live) mealies that I can give him. I offered one this morning, but the bird just gave me the hairy eyeball, but that could just be because he's not sure about me yet.

Oh, I named him/it Felix which is Latin for Lucky.

The grit mix that I got actually has some oyster shell in it, I can add some ground up egg shell on the side as well.

Then I'd say the eggshells aren't necessary

I don't have any other birds, so I don't have to worry too much about what this one may have, I don't handle anyone else's birds either.

For the bath, I was going to give it a pan of water to play in, but put the pan in the bath tub so that the mess is contained and can drain rather than splashing all over my carpet. I think I have a kitty litter pan that I'm not using that I can clean up and turn into a bath tub.

That sounds like a good plan.

One thing I forgot to respond to on your other post, the cage is inside, but it is just inside a window, so it does get indirect natural light, plus, I can take it outside on the weekends and hang out with it to let it get more light.

If it looks like it will be a permanent addition to my little zoo (6 horses, 7 cats, a dog, a fish, and now a pigeon) then I will fix something up at the farm for him with a wired in area that he can get outside and enjoy the sun (can even put a bath out there when it will just go into the ground...) But that would probably be in the spring or early summer so that it has time to adjust to the temperature as it gradually gets cooler at night since it will be in the heated house over the winter.

Sounds like a nice addition to your zoo. Pigeons are a ton of fun. Mark my word, you'll likely become addicted and have a nice loft full of them by next summer. One sad thing you'll have to deal with, however, is the fact that once your bird's wing heals, you'll never be able to fly it again. Regardless of how much it likes you and your home, it's homing instinct is likely stronger and it will fly back there or die trying. If you want to keep it, you'll have to keep it caged. If you get new pigeons and you choose to get homers, you can start them young and fly them as they will home back to your loft.

Oh, will they eat mealworms? I have some (live) mealies that I can give him. I offered one this morning, but the bird just gave me the hairy eyeball, but that could just be because he's not sure about me yet.

Pigeons are not meat eaters but I have heard of some fanciers that say their birds eat them. They certainly do not need them. If you want to give them a treat, make it shelled unsalted peanuts. They are literally crazy for them. I don't know why, my quails won't touch them, but everybody's pigeons seem just crazy about them. They are so crazy for them, that is how many fanciers tame their pigeons.

Oh, I named him/it Felix which is Latin for Lucky.

Cute name. Post some pics when you can.

1010171800.jpg
1010171829b.jpg

Here you go, the first one is before we taped the wing showing how it's dropped, then the 2nd one is a better pic

Thanks. I can't tell because the photo isn't of great quality, but that bird looks young. Are you able to get a higher definition picture, particularly of the head?

Do you see any tiny fuzzy feathers sticking out on its head or neck that look like down feathers?

What color are its eyes?

Does it make any noises? If so, can you describe them?

Answers to these questions would help me determine the age.

Thanks. I can't tell because the photo isn't of great quality, but that bird looks young. Are you able to get a higher definition picture, particularly of the head?

Do you see any tiny fuzzy feathers sticking out on its head or neck that look like down feathers?

What color are its eyes?

Does it make any noises? If so, can you describe them?

Answers to these questions would help me determine the age.
I'll try to get some better pics, it's a little dim in that room by the time I get home at night.
No fuzzies, feathering looks pretty normal.

Brown eyes, no real noises, it made some quiet little noises last night when we were upsetting it.

1011170643.jpg

OK, took a chance and used my flash.

Oh, and yesterday there was a tiny bit of grit in the water dish, so it is eating grit, and I have a guy bringing me some actual pigeon grit (he raises them to catch raptors)

Back
Top Bottom