Pigeon Questions

I can so relate to this! I have 2 cats that live upstairs because of the monster of a dog who lives on the main floor. No matter how much we tried she always thought chase the kitty was fun. To which she was clawed bloody...didn't stop her. She does have a Chihuahua friend, who is smaller then the cats I might add. We recently had a stray adopt us. So she is in the basement. She will venture to the main floor and oddly monster dog is easier on her. But she also slips right through the gate we have and goes upstairs. Where she is promptly growled at.

Well, I finally found something that Felix likes enough to consider to be a treat... Field Peas! There are some in his seed mix and he actually will lunge at them when I toss them to him. Still DOES NOT like peanuts... weird bird, he'll pick them up, but spits them right back out...

Well, I finally found something that Felix likes enough to consider to be a treat... Field Peas! There are some in his seed mix and he actually will lunge at them when I toss them to him. Still DOES NOT like peanuts... weird bird, he'll pick them up, but spits them right back out...
Just goes to show how individuals vary from the norm. I do find the differences more interesting than the similarities. :)

Are you going to steal the peas from his mix for training aids?:lol:

Yep! Also, I just got him some split peas to see if he likes them as well.
I've read about a second type of pea, Maple Peas. If he 'will work for peas' he is probably better off nutritionally as they are high protein. :)

added, You can even buy those peas separately.

Last edited:
Still DOES NOT like peanuts... weird bird, he'll pick them up, but spits them right back out...

Try breaking the peanuts into smaller pieces--I've noticed young birds sometimes have a hard time with the whole peanuts. I have one smaller bird and she didn't like peanuts until somewhat recently, and I think it was due to size.

My birds love peas too but not as much as peanuts, not even close, and sometimes they go through phases where they sort of ignore peas. Peanuts are literally crack to pigeons.

Try breaking the peanuts into smaller pieces--I've noticed young birds sometimes have a hard time with the whole peanuts. I have one smaller bird and she didn't like peanuts until somewhat recently, and I think it was due to size.

My birds love peas too but not as much as peanuts, not even close, and sometimes they go through phases where they sort of ignore peas. Peanuts are literally crack to pigeons.
I've tried breaking them up, even putting them in the blender for a pulse or 2... still doesn't like them... he's a weirdo

I've tried breaking them up, even putting them in the blender for a pulse or 2... still doesn't like them... he's a weirdo

That is weird. I wonder whether it has anything to do with the fact that the bird lives indoors. Pigeons notoriously choose their favorite foods based on their actual physical needs, and peanuts are basically just pure fat for them....

That is weird. I wonder whether it has anything to do with the fact that the bird lives indoors. Pigeons notoriously choose their favorite foods based on their actual physical needs, and peanuts are basically just pure fat for them....
Possibly, and he's mostly sedentary right now, he wanders around and flaps up to his water, but for the most part he sits on his perch. So he likely isn't burning many calories.

Back
Top Bottom