Pigeon Questions

Get him a buddy soon!
Likely in the spring. That cage isn't big enough for more than 1 bird his size and I don't have anywhere better to put him.

Also, any input on how to get him a buddy? I don't know what gender "he" is, and wouldn't it be better to get him a mate than another of the same gender?

I'll look at breeders to see if I can get adult birds that are already sexed, but I need to know what I am looking for.

Likely in the spring. That cage isn't big enough for more than 1 bird his size and I don't have anywhere better to put him.

Also, any input on how to get him a buddy? I don't know what gender "he" is, and wouldn't it be better to get him a mate than another of the same gender?

I'll look at breeders to see if I can get adult birds that are already sexed, but I need to know what I am looking for.
... one of many gender testing services...;)
https://vetdnacenter.com/dna-tests/avian-dna-testing/

Never even thought of that, knew they did parrots but didn't even think about a pigeon! Thanks!
I'm not sure of the cost, but I don't think it's prohibitive. On a pigeon blog recently a fancier got results for two of her birds bc she just had to know now! lol One was a baby and a piece of the shell was sent for testing(no feathers yet) . She was so excited to get the results, 1 m, 1 f. :D

I'm not sure of the cost, but I don't think it's prohibitive. On a pigeon blog recently a fancier got results for two of her birds bc she just had to know now! lol One was a baby and a piece of the shell was sent for testing(no feathers yet) . She was so excited to get the results, 1 m, 1 f. :D
I checked that link you sent and blood test is $19 and feather test is $23.
I would probably do the feather test as the idea of intentionally quicking a nail weirds me out... Plus, I can probably pull feathers out of his chest easier than playing with nails...

I checked that link you sent and blood test is $19 and feather test is $23.
I would probably do the feather test as the idea of intentionally quicking a nail weirds me out... Plus, I can probably pull feathers out of his chest easier than playing with nails...
:highfive:
I'm super glad to know the price as I would use it too if I needed to know.

I think my bird is growing up! He's developing that white thing on his beak and he was either doing a very bad coo or growling last night when we were messing with him. On the bad side, the more he uses the bad wing, the more it droops, we will be taping it back up this weekend as it is touching the ground at times now...
He also knocked himself silly last night by trying to fly up from where he was perched on the edge of his water dish and knocked himself into the top of the cage, he was back to his normal wing chopping and squeaking self in about 30 seconds or so, but I think he watched little birdies for a bit...

Also, my fish died last night... so, I get to deal with that when I get home...

I think my bird is growing up! He's developing that white thing on his beak and he was either doing a very bad coo or growling last night when we were messing with him. On the bad side, the more he uses the bad wing, the more it droops, we will be taping it back up this weekend as it is touching the ground at times now...
He also knocked himself silly last night by trying to fly up from where he was perched on the edge of his water dish and knocked himself into the top of the cage, he was back to his normal wing chopping and squeaking self in about 30 seconds or so, but I think he watched little birdies for a bit...

Also, my fish died last night... so, I get to deal with that when I get home...
:hugs
What type of fish?

Back
Top Bottom