Pigeon Space?

Typically speaking, 3-4 square feet of floor space per bird.

Remember, NEVER fly a bird you can't bear to lose.
We’re in town, there aren’t many hawks around where we live, I know they exist here though. If I got a pair, do you think they’d both return home if there’s only two? Also, is that ground space or air?

If you are going to get into pigeons, it is not a reality that you would get 2 pigeons, and let them out, and expect them to keep returning. Yes,, it may work for a while, but then unexpected things will happen.
First, you need to have whatever pigeons you get,,,, homeset to your loft. That can be done if you get 2 squabs about one month old, and you start training them to trap into your loft. Some may homeset, and some may decide to split on you. I have had young born (hatched) in my loft. When I let them out on their maiden loft flight , they split and did not look back. I have theories on the reasons, but that gets into lengthy discussions.
So back to homesetting your squabs. Once they are homeset, and keep returning, they will want to multiply, once they reach maturity. You will also want more birds when you get to that stage of pigeon keeping.
My suggestion on a beginners loft would be a structure 4' x 4' x 6' . It can be built vertically or horizontally. A loft is not a box, made of solid plywood, but rather, walls, screenings, an appropriate roof, and choice of floors. If you are ready to make one, there are many here that would gladly share pictures of how their lofts look. Google, and YouTube has thousands of postings, pictures as well.
I would suggest keeping up to about 10 pigeons in such a loft. That would be a good starting point in keeping pigeons. Once you get your feet wet in the hobby, you will know from your own experiences, as to what the next step should be.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

If you are going to get into pigeons, it is not a reality that you would get 2 pigeons, and let them out, and expect them to keep returning. Yes,, it may work for a while, but then unexpected things will happen.
First, you need to have whatever pigeons you get,,,, homeset to your loft. That can be done if you get 2 squabs about one month old, and you start training them to trap into your loft. Some may homeset, and some may decide to split on you. I have had young born (hatched) in my loft. When I let them out on their maiden loft flight , they split and did not look back. I have theories on the reasons, but that gets into lengthy discussions.
So back to homesetting your squabs. Once they are homeset, and keep returning, they will want to multiply, once they reach maturity. You will also want more birds when you get to that stage of pigeon keeping.
My suggestion on a beginners loft would be a structure 4' x 4' x 6' . It can be built vertically or horizontally. A loft is not a box, made of solid plywood, but rather, walls, screenings, an appropriate roof, and choice of floors. If you are ready to make one, there are many here that would gladly share pictures of how their lofts look. Google, and YouTube has thousands of postings, pictures as well.
I would suggest keeping up to about 10 pigeons in such a loft. That would be a good starting point in keeping pigeons. Once you get your feet wet in the hobby, you will know from your own experiences, as to what the next step should be.

Did you even read my message..... They are wild pigeons.... Just like in the park.... I WAS NOT GETTING 2 BIRDS FOR PETS THEY ARE WILD..... THEY CAME TO ME..... I do not want them as a caged pet....I was just feeding WILD PIGEONS......thanks for reading my POST...... Just read a little deeper next time

Did you even read my message..... They are wild pigeons.... Just like in the park.... I WAS NOT GETTING 2 BIRDS FOR PETS THEY ARE WILD..... THEY CAME TO ME..... I do not want them as a caged pet....I was just feeding WILD PIGEONS......thanks for reading my POST...... Just read a little deeper next time
Not sure what you are talking about. As far as I can tell you did not post a message on this thread. The post you quote was not a reply to you but rather a reply to the OP. So no need to scold. Good on you for feeding wild pigeons, I love the ferals too.

After doing more research, I did realize that just getting two would probably be unreasonable, and I’m thinking about turning a 6x8 chicken coop into a pigeon loft.

We’re in town, there aren’t many hawks around where we live, I know they exist here though. If I got a pair, do you think they’d both return home if there’s only two? Also, is that ground space or air?

The thing about predators, air or ground, is that they just need to show up one time to see your easy bird targets and then you'll wish you had taken more precautions.

I could go days or weeks without incident..but then one incident happens and I have lost one or more birds. This goes with chicken, quail, pigeons, or any other birds that you have in some kind of outdoor setting where predators could get to them.

There are even stories by other people of seeing predator birds/rodents inside the coop because they managed to get in some how, and all the pet birds inside were killed.

If I got a pair of homers, and they were able to fly every day, how much space would they need in their loft!
There are practically as many ways to raise pigeons as their are pigeon fanciers. I have seen some fanciers with nesting spaces as little as 1²' or less and other 4²'or more. Roosting bars and square footage are never written in stone. Even when provided with the maximum some pairs nest and roost in unorthodox places.
I try to do the overkill when it comes to accommodations for my birds however some of my birds have taught me that is not what they prefer. I have adapted to their needs when ever practical and suitable.

Back
Top Bottom