Pigeon squabs sex

My pigeons have both. There is no pattern.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
My ferals, mixes, homers, rollers, show fancy types.. usually laid first egg a male n second a female. sometimes depending on non normal conditions, ill get both one sex. thats just how others around here n myself have had a lot of experiances. more over performance n racing/homing pigeons.

Last edited:
My pigeons have any combination.. no pattern.. can be male / female or both of the same sex.

Most pairs start incubation the eggs at the same time.. they will only stand over the first egg to protect it.. and not start to brood it until the second egg is produced.

The first egg will not chill.. it will still hatch.. unless its actually frozen!

Even my chicken eggs I store in the fridge.. sometimes over a week.. still hatch if I incubate them.

The only time an egg will chill is if the bird starts to brood it.. incubate it.. and the chick starts to grow.. but then something happens that the parents stays too long off the nest and the inside of the egg gets below the correct temperature.. then the chick inside will die.

The first egg will not chill.. it will still hatch.. unless its actually frozen!
This maybe just urban legend;

I have heard of duck & geese owners in particular that had eggs actually freeze and crack before the female started incubating. (it was Not April 1, when this statement was made). The frozen eggs went on to hatch according to their testimonials.

I was skeptical and found it hard to believe at the time but did not argue the point. I have raised Muscovy ducks on numerous occasions.

Nothing like that ever happened to me personally.

Last edited:
I thought pigeons paired up for life with one partner, but my pigeons seem to think differently. My main pair currently have 2 eggs. And today I saw the male mounting a different female! Is this normal? Will it be fine for his health of he ends up feeding 2 different nests of squabs at the same time?

In my experience he may look like he's paired with two hens but he will only look after one nest.

Ok, thanks. He's had his female since September 2014, and this new attractive female has been with me about a month. I wouldn't mind if he paired up with the newbie (Flashy), as long as he doesn't neglect his original female (Marie).

Ok, thanks. He's had his female since September 2014, and this new attractive female has been with me about a month. I wouldn't mind if he paired up with the newbie (Flashy), as long as he doesn't neglect his original female (Marie).
ok, he will probably just look after the original females nest.

Back
Top Bottom