Pigeon Talk

Pretty bird @Bdg1104 I hope you get it too!

I got 6 new babies today! All 3 pairs hatched their pairs. When I went in to feed this morning, Tripp got off the nest, and one of hers had a leg sticking out of the shell and the other was pipped. Within a few hours later, both were hatched.

Pretty bird @Bdg1104 I hope you get it too!

I got 6 new babies today! All 3 pairs hatched their pairs. When I went in to feed this morning, Tripp got off the nest, and one of hers had a leg sticking out of the shell and the other was pipped. Within a few hours later, both were hatched.

That is an amazing hatch day! Congrats! :thumbsup

Edit add. Is the leg supposed to come out first?

Anybody know the breed of this bird? He was found by the same lady who found one of my other rescues. He looks pretty young to me. Any info about his band or anything else would also be helpful. She said she would send me more pictures soon so I may post those later as well. I may adopt it if we can't find anywhere else for him, I have a good amount of room in my aviary for him. Thanks!View attachment 2161094
looks like an Serbian highflyer. It most likely isn't a cross, unless It was between two crested birds. As crest are normally very recessive.

Either way, he's very pretty. you should keep him! your aviary is plenty big. Just make sure to quarantine it. Remember, six feet. ;)

That is an amazing hatch day! Congrats! :thumbsup

Edit add. Is the leg supposed to come out first?

I’ve never seen a leg come out first! I think this one just happened to be zipping and the leg got loose. I wished I had my camera on me at the time but didn’t.

looks like an Serbian highflyer. It most likely isn't a cross, unless It was between two crested birds. As crest are normally very recessive.

Either way, he's very pretty. you should keep him! your aviary is plenty big. Just make sure to quarantine it. Remember, six feet. ;)

The face and general shape look pretty spot on for a Serbian highflyer! Thank you! I will probably keep him quarantined inside for a couple of weeks if I get him because the quarantine cage I have isn't predator proof. He is very adorable and I love the brown color he has on him.

On a side note, what do you guys use as flooring for your lofts? I've been using wood shavings but they just get blown around and end up everywhere so I'm looking to change. I've heard sand was good if kept dry, but I have a few areas in the loft that are exposed screen and they will definitely let a little rain in. Do you think sand will be okay if it still gets wet? Or should I use something else?

If you have a wood floor on the loft I would just keep it bare and get yourself a nice floor scraper to clean it. If I had a wood floor I would also throw a bit of sweet PDZ down just to keep it cleaner or dry up any messy poop. I think BP might use shavings or straw on the floor of his but he'll have to confirm this.
I only have two at the moment and will probably be giving the babies away to a local flier in all honesty so I have more of a hutch style loft that's just big enough for a few birds to sleep in or get out of the wind. In that I have a wire floor. In the aviary I have sand and dirt mixed in with some gravel of various sizes. In the aviary the sand and gravel dry quickly but I wouldn't use sand in a loft if it was going to get damp, personally. There's a lot of reasons not to use it even outside because little bits of feces always get mixed in no matter how much you clean it but a solution is just to dump more sand on top to replace what gets scraped out and soiled.

1590588822517.png

1590588849332.png

The face and general shape look pretty spot on for a Serbian highflyer! Thank you! I will probably keep him quarantined inside for a couple of weeks if I get him because the quarantine cage I have isn't predator proof. He is very adorable and I love the brown color he has on him.

On a side note, what do you guys use as flooring for your lofts? I've been using wood shavings but they just get blown around and end up everywhere so I'm looking to change. I've heard sand was good if kept dry, but I have a few areas in the loft that are exposed screen and they will definitely let a little rain in. Do you think sand will be okay if it still gets wet? Or should I use something else?
Your climate makes a difference which is a good reason to put your state or general location in your profile. I think you said before, but I forget! Haha

I agree wood shavings make a terrible mess blowing out of the loft to the surroundings. I have a treated plywood floor inside my enclosed loft although rain sometimes blows in a little. I use nothing on the floor so I scrape the poop up frequently - the goal is daily.

So remind us - Do you have a wood floor? Dirt? Wire?

If you have a wood floor on the loft I would just keep it bare and get yourself a nice floor scraper to clean it. If I had a wood floor I would also throw a bit of sweet PDZ down just to keep it cleaner or dry up any messy poop. I think BP might use shavings or straw on the floor of his but he'll have to confirm this.
I only have two at the moment and will probably be giving the babies away to a local flier in all honesty so I have more of a hutch style loft that's just big enough for a few birds to sleep in or get out of the wind. In that I have a wire floor. In the aviary I have sand and dirt mixed in with some gravel of various sizes. In the aviary the sand and gravel dry quickly but I wouldn't use sand in a loft if it was going to get damp, personally. There's a lot of reasons not to use it even outside because little bits of feces always get mixed in no matter how much you clean it but a solution is just to dump more sand on top to replace what gets scraped out and soiled.

View attachment 2162392
View attachment 2162394
:goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom