Pigeon Talk

Yay, happy 1000 pages!!! You guys are such a helpful group and I'm so thankful for your quick responses whenever I need help! To celebrate here is yet another pic of my squab lol. Even though he is soooo big and starting to fly he still likes to sit on my hand and nap.

Attachments

• IMG_20200525_185547.jpg
    IMG_20200525_185547.jpg
    463.8 KB · Views: 3
Thanks @backyard pigeons. You have had much to do with the popularity of this thread. Your knowledge, kindness, and helpfulness to others is priceless!
thanks WV!
Fitting that you snagged post #10,000!
I didn't even notice!
p.s. I have lots of babies hatching any time now. I had 3 pairs, plus another trio start nests at almost the same time. So far, I’ve seen one half-shell, so I know at least one had hatched. Maybe I’ll be able to get some pics this evening.
dont you love it when babies are all neck and neck in growth! Makes everything simpler, as far as training if they are gonna free fly, or integregating them to the old bird flock.
I just took a few photos. Please excuse the mounds of poop. It’s been raining so much the past couple of weeks, I’ve have more tending to do in the chicken pens, and haven’t gotten to clean the pigeon loft.
Duff/Breezy. Apparently one hatched so far
View attachment 2159629
Trip/Rocky
View attachment 2159631

Bonnie/Clyde apparently have a new baby too
View attachment 2159632

Threesome of Skye/Bugsy/Brick. Only 1 egg is fertile, but I left the other two
View attachment 2159633View attachment 2159635

And a few group and youngster shots
View attachment 2159637View attachment 2159638View attachment 2159639View attachment 2159641View attachment 2159642View attachment 2159643View attachment 2159644
nice pics! I love your sats. I like the fancy pigeon drinker you have. Do they work good? Easy to clean?
byc tut tut.gif
start on day 4 or 5..
BP you are going to drive me to,,
oregonian_winesmiley.gif
.....\
If I imagine those lil thumbs being hurt:hit
uh oh... Did I upset the cave man? ;)

I usually start banding at day 6 but fall off till day 7 or 8. I have tried the yarn trick, but once the parent toenail got caught in the yarn. They baby was okay, but I'll never do that again.

did you use 8mm. or 7mm. Bands?
You know what I really have enjoyed? Reading about these heroic birds during the WW's. And how they saved lives....and fought to make it back to their coops when severely injured.
aren't they amazing? I really want to read "Operation Columba" talks all about war pigeons. I havent bought it yet... But you should read it.

Bad news y’all: second pigeon chick didn’t make it. He pipped, he started to zip... it looks like the membrane dried over his beak :( It was otherwise healthy looking. Kind of a bummer, but we at least have little Nugget here with us!
I'm sorry! Hopefully the baby you have will thrive. He should bring the only child, getting all the food.

next time, be sure to give the parents a water fish for a bath the day before hatch day. this helps soften the shell for the baby's to hatch quick and avoid drying out.

bp wrote;

uh oh... Did I upset the cave man? ;)
:hugsYou already know me well enough:gig
Here is where I get my line. Listen to first sentence...

I usually start banding at day 6 but fall off till day 7 or 8. I have tried the yarn trick, but once the parent toenail got caught in the yarn. They baby was okay, but I'll never do that again.
I would usually do first try on day 4. With the yarn trick, I would lace it thru the eye about 3 times, and tie the ends. Then cut off the excess. The 3 passes made the inside diameter small enough not to fall off. There is no way for any toe nails catching anything at that method. Day 8 and I removed yarn, by cutting knot off. It always worked great for me,, and I was at peace knowing lil juniors thumb was not hurt.:love

did you use 8mm. or 7mm. Bands?
I only had 8mm because all were homers, and even though I had no intention of ever racing them, wanted for easy Id for myself, as to birth year.

I’ll think about it. I’ve never banded the originals, but I might just in case they decide to fly away.
I know the story you had with your pigeons before.:frow
Since you don't really need positive bands on your pigeons, at this time,, you can get some of the removable bands and write your name, or phone#. Those can be snapped on anytime. If a pigeon does fly away, and an honest person catches it, they will contact the Phone# there. If the person is not an honest one, they can remove a permanent band without much trouble. I did see the zipties on your mama pigeon's leg. I personally would replace those with the removable type. They are colorful, and easily seen by someone that pigeon belongs to someone. :thumbsup
Did I also mention very low priced.
1590471742369.png

Back
Top Bottom