Pigeon Talk

Is this odd, or normal?
I had 2 different pairs hatch babies close together. One on June 23rd, the other on June 27th. One pair only hatched one baby, the other egg didn’t develop. The second pair hatched both, but one died within the first week or so, failed to thrive. The last few days, I’ve seen both remaining babies in the same nest. I think they are both up and following parents around to get fed and learning to eat. I don’t think one pair has adopted the other baby. But I was still surprised that they were sharing a nest bowl at night, at under a month old each. Anyone had this happen?

Is this odd, or normal?
I had 2 different pairs hatch babies close together. One on June 23rd, the other on June 27th. One pair only hatched one baby, the other egg didn’t develop. The second pair hatched both, but one died within the first week or so, failed to thrive. The last few days, I’ve seen both remaining babies in the same nest. I think they are both up and following parents around to get fed and learning to eat. I don’t think one pair has adopted the other baby. But I was still surprised that they were sharing a nest bowl at night, at under a month old each. Anyone had this happen?
No, mine haven't done that. That's cool! Keep us posted.

Is this odd, or normal?
I think its nice they found each other! Hasn't happened in my loft because the nest boxes are configured so it's near impossible. Its normal that youngsters of similar age hang together.

Alright yall. Here's my loft update!

so the one trio hatched 4 eggs. They are all making u i! One pulled ahead a bit, but I'm evening out the feedings. So far I can see we have one blue check, one jet black (yay!) And the other two I can't tell.

my handfed baby is doing good. Training is going good, he has no hesitation to come to me. I'm struggling to get him to fly for several minutes like I want. Any tips are appreciated.

and the last, bad update. One of my speakers got scalped bad today. I've never had this happen. he is doing okay, but I don't know how. Alot of the skin is just gone on his head, exposing perhaps the skull? he is with his parents seprated in a nesting box in the loft. So we will see.

I haven't had any overly aggressive cocks ever, until now. And my eyes are on my yellow tiger grizzled male, since he's the newest bird in the loft. He's currently on eggs, but what do y'all think, is scalping genetic? I don't want to start breeding more mean males. Let me know, I need your help!

I'm struggling to get him to fly for several minutes like I want. Any tips are appreciated.
When he is ready to fly more,,, he will. Patience:frow

And sooooo sad to hear about the scalping. :hit
I have no advice to give here.:hugs I know you do the best care possible, so your pigeons are lucky to own you.

Sorry to hear about your youngster that got scalped. If it happened on the floor maybe you could lean a board against the wall so the young ones have a place to hide until you find the culprit. As far as the one that doesn't want to fly. Try flagging it up when it wants to just sit. Sooner or later he will get the picture. Good luck

Alright yall. Here's my loft update!

so the one trio hatched 4 eggs. They are all making u i! One pulled ahead a bit, but I'm evening out the feedings. So far I can see we have one blue check, one jet black (yay!) And the other two I can't tell.

my handfed baby is doing good. Training is going good, he has no hesitation to come to me. I'm struggling to get him to fly for several minutes like I want. Any tips are appreciated.

and the last, bad update. One of my speakers got scalped bad today. I've never had this happen. he is doing okay, but I don't know how. Alot of the skin is just gone on his head, exposing perhaps the skull? he is with his parents seprated in a nesting box in the loft. So we will see.

I haven't had any overly aggressive cocks ever, until now. And my eyes are on my yellow tiger grizzled male, since he's the newest bird in the loft. He's currently on eggs, but what do y'all think, is scalping genetic? I don't want to start breeding more mean males. Let me know, I need your help!
X2 for patience in training. Did you take your own advice and only reward if he lands to your call?

Sorry about your scalped baby. He will likely heal up. I think a solid scab is the best protection for a wound. If I decided to apply a dressing I would use honey instead of an antibiotic ointment. Obviously, i'm no vet! JMO. How old is the little one?

Back
Top Bottom