Pigeon Talk

pigeons123.jpg

Olive and Skittles are still doing well together. Olive has been aloof for about a year so I just let her do her own thing. Her temperament changed when she began laying eggs regularly, which took two years. Skittles has not yet laid any eggs and is the more friendly of the pair now, especially when Olive is busy incubating and doesn't want to interact with her much.

pigeons1234.jpg

Cherry and Charlotte are my other 'pigeons' - they are a bonded odd couple pair, one diamond dove and one ringneck dove.

View attachment 2892157

Olive and Skittles are still doing well together. Olive has been aloof for about a year so I just let her do her own thing. Her temperament changed when she began laying eggs regularly, which took two years. Skittles has not yet laid any eggs and is the more friendly of the pair now, especially when Olive is busy incubating and doesn't want to interact with her much.

View attachment 2892158

Cherry and Charlotte are my other 'pigeons' - they are a bonded odd couple pair, one diamond dove and one ringneck dove.
Olive is such a lovely girl. Funny how their behavior changes when they mature. My “lap duck” won’t even acknowledge me anymore lol
Cherry and Charlotte are adorable too! Is the orange eye ring a thing with diamond doves? I know zero about them. Do they interact with Olive and Skittles? How do they compare in size? (The two pairs)

Olive is such a lovely girl. Funny how their behavior changes when they mature. My “lap duck” won’t even acknowledge me anymore lol
Cherry and Charlotte are adorable too! Is the orange eye ring a thing with diamond doves? I know zero about them. Do they interact with Olive and Skittles? How do they compare in size? (The two pairs)

Yes, male diamond doves have bigger rings - Cherry is male. Both sexes have it though. The size difference is extreme between Skittles and Cherry, Olive and Charlotte are intermediate.

IMG_0364.JPEG

Because both of my pigeons are hens, they are fortunately very mellow and don't mind the doves at all. They can have unsupervised time out of their cages in the sun room they all live out on these days without bothering each other.

IMG_1717.JPEG

Yes, male diamond doves have bigger rings - Cherry is male. Both sexes have it though. The size difference is extreme between Skittles and Cherry, Olive and Charlotte are intermediate.

View attachment 2893081

Because both of my pigeons are hens, they are fortunately very mellow and don't mind the doves at all. They can have unsupervised time out of their cages in the sun room they all live out on these days without bothering each other.

View attachment 2893084
That is so neat! Thanks for sharing!

(Now I need to go look for some house doves.) :p

Picked up some solid whites last night, so hoping this spring will be able to get some white flyers out of them!
Nice looking pigeons!
Recently I did a complete loft overhaul. It was challenging due to limited time and having to work while the pigeons were still living inside, but finally it’s complete. Pics show everything up until I put the new perches and nest boxes inside. I’m looking for advice on joining up some gaps in the floor and other places because I had to build around the existing frame of the aviary, but the benefit of this is that it’s sort of a convertible loft now. It’s very easy to remove and re attach the side panels for more/less ventilation and dryness. Should I just use caulk?

Attachments

• 5426BB71-868B-4681-A87F-F7F81DA5347A.jpeg
    5426BB71-868B-4681-A87F-F7F81DA5347A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • FBF43467-8D43-47C3-BB86-B4F6BA2BEA8E.jpeg
    FBF43467-8D43-47C3-BB86-B4F6BA2BEA8E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
I’m looking for advice on joining up some gaps in the floor and other places because I had to build around the existing frame of the aviary, but the benefit of this is that it’s sort of a convertible loft now.
I don't see a need to caulk, or fill in those gaps. What is your concern???? mice getting in??

I don't see a need to caulk, or fill in those gaps. What is your concern???? mice getting in??
No concern really, just not sure if it was necessary or not. In the future there may be one or two areas that could leak water if we get flooding like last winter. :)
Rodents can’t get in, underneath the ply floor I added a barrier of hardware cloth and then leveled the entire thing with a bunch of rocks for drainage.

Time for a dropping interpretation. Birds had been fighting this a while back but it went away after a 4 in 1 dose over the summer. They were pretty bad yesterday morning, gave them some probiotic powder in their feed and it cleared right up the same day. This morning the droppings were okay but by this afternoon they’re back to the yellow runs. First pic is droppings last night, second and third photos are today. Any idea what this is? I’d like to try a specific medication to target what this is rather than a 4 in 1 since it keeps coming back.

Birds fly daily and are otherwise normal. Haven’t been wormed in a bit, should I dose them again and see if it improves?

Attachments

• B8230385-190D-4E20-A81F-3121E5D378E0.jpeg
    B8230385-190D-4E20-A81F-3121E5D378E0.jpeg
    630.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 691CDBB8-E3DE-4004-A745-956670B5AC38.jpeg
    691CDBB8-E3DE-4004-A745-956670B5AC38.jpeg
    518.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 6285E9EE-E5AC-46EC-9B82-BDD81B301DBA.jpeg
    6285E9EE-E5AC-46EC-9B82-BDD81B301DBA.jpeg
    568.1 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom