Pigeon Talk

Does anyone have experience with shipped pigeons?

I shipped Skittles from Jerry Barroso in Massachusetts about a year ago, she arrived in under 2 days in great shape. Pigeons are big birds and ship very well.

She is a pomeranian pouter and I really love this breed of pigeon. They are tame by nature, very easy to handle, very large and much less dusty than other breeds. My birds are indoor pets.

Attachments

• pigoo.jpg
    pigoo.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 5
Are you going to be keeping them in a loft (with free flight), in an aviary (no free flight), or inside your home? If you want them to be house pets, you could try getting some imprinted birds. They’re almost guaranteed to be friendly, since they like people as much as they like other birds. Some breeders imprint their birds, and there’s also lots of imprinted rescue pigeons in need of homes (happens a lot with ferals— people find an orphaned feral and intend to release it, but they accidentally imprint it and it’s too tame to be released).
We’re planning on housing them inside with an outdoor recreation area. Imprinted birds will definitely be the way to go. I’d be open to rescues for sure. I haven’t come across any around us but I’m guessing there are tons in Atlanta which is about 2 hours away.

I shipped Skittles from Jerry Barroso in Massachusetts about a year ago, she arrived in under 2 days in great shape. Pigeons are big birds and ship very well.

She is a pomeranian pouter and I really love this breed of pigeon. They are tame by nature, very easy to handle, very large and much less dusty than other breeds. My birds are indoor pets.
Wow, she's much prettier than my Brunner Pouters!

We’re planning on housing them inside with an outdoor recreation area. Imprinted birds will definitely be the way to go. I’d be open to rescues for sure. I haven’t come across any around us but I’m guessing there are tons in Atlanta which is about 2 hours away.
Rescue pigeons can be hard to find if you live in a place with few pigeon fanciers or feral pigeons. There is one rescue, Great Lakes pigeon rescue, that ships birds all over the US. You may also want to check out shelters that accept birds, Craigslist, Facebook (there are groups dedicated to rehoming pet pigeons), or try to contact independent wildlife rehabbers, who sometimes have imprinted feral pigeons in need of homes (wildlife rehabilitation centers will usually euthanize or release such pigeons or only adopt them out to volunteers, though you could try them too).

The babies are getting huge! I’ve had to take them out a few times to clean their nest, and Big Bird can stand and walk around now. Frittata can’t. I’m a little worried she’s not getting fed enough, but they’re still only 3 weeks old. Still, I’d imagine she’d at least be able to stand by now.
They’re also (mainly Frito) really gross. As in, pooped-on gross. I don’t suppose there’s anyway I can clean them without hurting/freezing them? I’ve been able to keep their nest farely clean, but apparently not clean enough.
F63E5DD5-3D67-4818-834D-4E2A62EF9253.jpeg
524C207D-E019-458D-9BF1-BD3F14DA8866.png

Back
Top Bottom