Pigeon Talk

I have a conundrum. I'm ordering leg bands because I'm cautiously optimistic I will actually need them this year. The SOP for my tumblers says they take size 7. However I had also asked the breeder what size and he said 9. I don't want bands that are too small and end up having to be cut off. But I don't want bands that are too large either.

Why do you mistrust the seller??? :idunno
BTW I never had rollers:(,, It was not the type of pigeon for me:(
Well, the seller did tell me that Neet Neet was a female. Now that he’s older he’s shown himself to be an obvious male. Also, when I bought him he didn’t coo, just growled. He also didn’t show any male behaviors until a month or two ago.

That’s too bad. Rollers seem pretty cool. But seeing as he’s my first pigeon I don’t have anything to compare to. :p

D8EECBCA-9E07-4FE5-8859-834202854016.jpeg

Well, the seller did tell me that Neet Neet was a female. Now that he’s older he’s shown himself to be an obvious male. Also, when I bought him he didn’t coo, just growled. He also didn’t show any male behaviors until a month or two ago.
Sexing pigeons is quite difficult. You are able to tell he is male just now after having him.and observing. :thumbsup Do you think the seller purposely deceived you and told you pigeon was a female,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, just to make a $ale:mad:
I could see how such action could certainly tick you off.
Can you get an exchange from that seller/breeder:old

I have a conundrum. I'm ordering leg bands because I'm cautiously optimistic I will actually need them this year. The SOP for my tumblers says they take size 7. However I had also asked the breeder what size and he said 9. I don't want bands that are too small and end up having to be cut off. But I don't want bands that are too large either.
Do you have the adult parent from which your squabs will be.?? Measure the leg if you have. I only used, and ordered 8 MM for my homers. It seems to be the universally accepted size. (most common I believe) . The 9mm I think are for pigeons with feathered feet. But not sure. I know that King meat pigeons are BIG, so I'm sure they require larger sizes than many others. I suppose only the breeders in those would get rings.:idunno Choking hazard:oops:
You can make a practice band from a strip of metal cut from a can. You can use other material also, but metal will hold its form and can be bent together, and will keep round shape.
Just wrap around corresponding drill bit shank, and cut length, where ends meet.
Here is a quick size chart.
Millimeters (mm)Inches (") (decimal)Inches (") (fraction)
7 mm0.2756 ″9/32 ″
8 mm0.3150 ″5/16 ″
9 mm0.3543 ″23/64 ″
10 mm0.3937 ″25/64 ″

Sexing pigeons is quite difficult. You are able to tell he is male just now after having him.and observing. :thumbsup Do you think the seller purposely deceived you and told you pigeon was a female,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, just to make a $ale:mad:
I could see how such action could certainly tick you off.
Can you get an exchange from that seller/breeder:old
I don’t think it was purposeful. I think the breeder might have accidentally mixed up his birds and maybe got the date of birth wrong. Younger pigeons are also harder to sex. So it would be easy to mistake him as a female.
I’m not angry, and I’m pretty happy with him. I just want to be sure of his age. :)

Do you have the adult parent from which your squabs will be.?? Measure the leg if you have. I only used, and ordered 8 MM for my homers. It seems to be the universally accepted size. (most common I believe) . The 9mm I think are for pigeons with feathered feet. But not sure. I know that King meat pigeons are BIG, so I'm sure they require larger sizes than many others. I suppose only the breeders in those would get rings.:idunno Choking hazard:oops:
You can make a practice band from a strip of metal cut from a can. You can use other material also, but metal will hold its form and can be bent together, and will keep round shape.
Just wrap around corresponding drill bit shank, and cut length, where ends meet.
Here is a quick size chart.
Millimeters (mm)Inches (") (decimal)Inches (") (fraction)
7 mm0.2756 ″9/32 ″
8 mm0.3150 ″5/16 ″
9 mm0.3543 ″23/64 ″
10 mm0.3937 ″25/64 ″

It occurred to me to just go stare at my pigeons and see if I could see the size on their bands, lol. And it's 7. Dunno why the breeder said 9.

You might be overthinking:gig
Get whatever hen you like as long as she is pretty:old
You learned that determining sex of a pigeon gets tricky. If you get an adult hen and place in with your males, there will be a noticeable natural attraction. If you should by chance score another male, there will be almost instant dueling.

Hello. I was wondering about my roller, Neet Neet. The breeder told me that he was 5 months old when I bought him. However, I think he was a lot younger now that I've seen pictures of 5 month old pigeons. I was wondering if anyone on here could tell me what age he was when I got him?
Pictures from the day I bought him, January 4th
View attachment 2100097
View attachment 2100095
A more recent picture:
View attachment 2100098
The exact age isn't going to make much of a difference, but if you want a rough estimate your pigeon was about 2 months ( 3 tops) old in the first picture. It was a very late hatch as can be seen by his molted feathers. Even in the other picture you posted (I'm assuming it's the same bird) it's still clearly visible that he hasn't molted out all of his juvenile primary flight feathers. Just as the old timers used to say, I am still of the belief that a pigeon shouldn't be bred until it has gone through a complete molt. In the end it's your choice when and if you get a mate for him, but I wouldn't breed him until next year after he has completed a full molt this year. Nice looking bird though... good luck with him:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom