Pigeon Talk

What is the likelihood of hen pigeons laying eggs consistently without a cock bird present?
like a chicken? Every other day or so? No, pigeons aren't built that way.
but it’s been so long since the last time and I’m just wondering if that’s normal?
I see no concern with it. Due to their being no male, they probably aren't as eager to start a nest, because the males are always driving the hen to the nest.
I just got pigeons!:yesss:

They are a pair of Rollers. I got them, a coop, a bit of food and grit, and a TON of knowledge from some friends of mine, all for free!

They aren't a mated pair but will be hopefully soon. Their names are Commando (Mando) and Cher Ami (Ami). Both were named after famous war pigeons who had really cool stories! Mando is white with black speckles, and I was told he will get more speckles as he grows older (apparently the breeder worked for years to perfect this color!). Ami is a pretty buff-tan. I was told that the breeder also worked for years in making his pigeon's feathers extra soft!grit

They are still adjusting to their new home. I love them all ready! I'm so excited to learn more about pigeons and other pigeon keepers on BYC!:celebrate
yay!! Congrats!

We need to see some pictures! I like their names, well chosen! Do you plan on breeding them? How old are they?

Congratulations! :hugs I know the story of Cher Ami pretty well . We'd love to see photos of Mando and Ami. :)
Congrats on the pigeons! Love that you named them after war birds. Those birds & handlers were incredible.
yay!! Congrats!

We need to see some pictures! I like their names, well chosen! Do you plan on breeding them? How old are they?
Yes I will need to get pictures soon!

I'm planning on letting them breed if they want, I'll just go with the flow! Ammo is 2 years old and Mando is 1.

I have an embankment in my yard that constantly has sand and gravel washing out of it when it rains. I decided to try to put some of this to use in my aviary. It dries at least twice as fast as the packed dirt that was in there before, and its easier to clean because all the poop just gets covered in the finer sand. I'm aware that eventually all of the sand will have tiny bits of poop which is why I spread a very thin layer, just enough to cover the original dirt, and I'll rake it over before I add more or just scoop most of it out completely. We've had a lot of rain and it seems to be working much better.
thumbnail_20200420_141138.jpg
thumbnail_20200420_151027.jpg
thumbnail_20200420_151149.jpg

I have an embankment in my yard that constantly has sand and gravel washing out of it when it rains. I decided to try to put some of this to use in my aviary. It dries at least twice as fast as the packed dirt that was in there before, and its easier to clean because all the poop just gets covered in the finer sand. I'm aware that eventually all of the sand will have tiny bits of poop which is why I spread a very thin layer, just enough to cover the original dirt, and I'll rake it over before I add more or just scoop most of it out completely. We've had a lot of rain and it seems to be working much better.
View attachment 2099246View attachment 2099245View attachment 2099244
That looks ideal! Wish I had a gravel quarry in my yard. Lol.
I don't think I will ever scoop out the old gravel in my aviary. Sure there is some poop in there, but over time it breaks down into molecules that aren't really poop anymore, but rather more like fertilizer. The poop I scoop from inside the loft and bag up is in demand for fertilizer in my neighbors gardens.

View attachment 2099246View attachment 2099245View attachment 2099244
Looks good! I love your new hen! How is she doing? Is she tame at all?

Just to let you know, I read that sand can carry salmonella for some time, even when dry. I think it would be okay, but I am just warning you. :)

Looks good! I love your new hen! How is she doing? Is she tame at all?

Just to let you know, I read that sand can carry salmonella for some time, even when dry. I think it would be okay, but I am just warning you. :)
She has no problem coming up to me when she wants food but otherwise likes to keep to herself. She's not fearful though and waits till I'm very close to move away.

I read that too, I'll keep an eye on it :) I was having problems with the old floor design where every week or two I'd have a few birds with runny greenish poops and then it would clear up after a day or two and then soon after a different bird would have it. I think the packed soil never really dried out completely and harbored the bacteria better than the sand which dries quicker and allows for more thorough cleaning. I actually put it out there about a week and a half ago but didn't post about it until now, and the poops have looked fine the entire time so far! The big broody hen ones are still very gross but nothing that's overly loose, watery, or green.

Hello. I was wondering about my roller, Neet Neet. The breeder told me that he was 5 months old when I bought him. However, I think he was a lot younger now that I've seen pictures of 5 month old pigeons. I was wondering if anyone on here could tell me what age he was when I got him?
Pictures from the day I bought him, January 4th
P_20200104_133518_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20200104_133413_vHDR_Auto.jpg

A more recent picture:
P_20200327_181310_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Back
Top Bottom