Pigeon Talk

Some pretty birds on CL nr Albuequerque Nm. Seller is calling them 'Sky Cutters' in his ad.
Bio STOP! You are gonna end up checking Craigslist near you and find some pigeons that you need. ;) of course, is that a bad thing?!

I would never fly pigeons. I have seen the gruesome deaths inflicted on ferals, and watched eight white homers living with a fancier down the block dwindle as they were reduced to piles of feathers and bone in the lot where they would go for grit and be hit by the peregrines over just the past year. Wild pigeons followed by researchers almost never lived more than three years.
sounds like you have more hawks than the average area. many birds fly happily for years before they die, of old age. But either way, flying or not, pigeons don't live to see 25 years.

If I had to guess, the fancier down the road did open-loft system. Not a good move, if you ask me. It is going to naturally attract BOP. Flying birds is good. It is natural.

Last edited:
I noticed something yesterday.... Skye, my Bluette cock has red feet. Yesterday I noticed they seem much more red than I've ever noticed before. Why might that be? My imagination?.... Cold weather?.... Mating mode???
The sign of a healthy pigeon! your doing something right!

Nice avy... What breed? I actually ate a goat shank today... :oops:

I want to, when I have my own land, raise meat goats. I tried it to make sure I liked it, and it was great. Goats give nearly 75% live weight, while cows give about 62%. Goats PREFER rocky, scrubby land while cows need good pasture. Goats, in my opinion, make sense!

sounds like you have more hawks than the average area. many birds fly happily for years before they die, of old age. But either way, flying or not, pigeons don't live to see 25 years.

If I had to guess, the fancier down the road did open-loft system. Not a good move, if you ask me. It is going to naturally attract BOP. Flying birds is good. It is natural.

The oldest pigeon currently alive is 24.
There are many birds approaching or just over 20 I know of in the pet bird community.
The oldest pigeon ever recorded was Kaiser, a German war pigeon captured by the American millitary in world war 2, who lived to 32. He was kept as a breeder in a closed loft, thus his longevity.

kaiser.jpg

The oldest pigeon currently alive is 24.
There are many birds approaching or just over 20 I know of in the pet bird community.
The oldest pigeon ever recorded was Kaiser, a German war pigeon captured by the American millitary in world war 2, who lived to 32. He was kept as a breeder in a closed loft, thus his longevity.

kaiser.jpg
Sounds like an exception not as a rule. Generally a long life for a pigeon is around 12-15 years.

I'm going to guess mating mode. I notice a brighter red on some of my birds feet sometimes,
Do you have a little goat now? I'm looking at your avatar.:)
The sign of a healthy pigeon! your doing something right!

Nice avy... What breed? I actually ate a goat shank today... :oops:

I want to, when I have my own land, raise meat goats. I tried it to make sure I liked it, and it was great. Goats give nearly 75% live weight, while cows give about 62%. Goats PREFER rocky, scrubby land while cows need good pasture. Goats, in my opinion, make sense!

Yes, I got 2 Nigerian Dwarf bottle babies!!!!
They are darling little things, more like a puppy than a goat lol
I have little to no direct experience with goats, so I decided to go with 2 boys to start with. I may get more for the farm sometime later, but these 2 boys will be banded (neutered/wethered) as soon as they are ready.
But I’m in love! :lol:
They are staying in our home office for now, but we built a temp fence outside the door so I can let them outside at times.
6CA9B77F-9721-44D3-8CD4-1CDE81A103B5.jpeg
6DAC834B-0358-4128-AAF9-36ABA5B34B29.jpeg
3D5DDC3F-9E9A-455D-B77F-ACFC55360B2C.jpeg
1E3E2CA3-FB62-4C1B-9813-5BA98F5B2240.jpeg
6BF13DD0-C8FF-4B27-AB8F-70E2482D38A9.jpeg
AFBFBC05-0D20-4E57-82D6-B9D5E7AE0537.jpeg

OK. I crumbled! I know I said I wasn't going to breed from the fantails until I decided what I was going to do BUT I just went out to do my chores and my white female fantail has decided to sneaky a nest and there is two beautiful little white eggs in there. She looked so content and even let me check under her with no fuss. I've let her keep them! So I have one archangel due on the 2nd march and two fantails on the 4th!!

Back
Top Bottom