Pigeon Talk

I also mix in a small amount of this "winter rye" the feed store sells for dirt cheap which I have a small bag of that I'd like to be rid of. The pigeons don't particularly love it but they eat it. I tried getting rid of it by putting it out for the wild birds but nothing will eat it. Makes me wonder why they even sell it, it looks like lawn grass seeds.
Lol, it is grass seed. Winter rye is used to seed pasture with something that is less likely to stop growing entirely in the winter. I believe it is an annual so it will only come up once and die out so you can actually overseed a pasture in the fall and when your normal grass is dying out due to winter, this stuff is actually starting to grow because it likes the cold and will die in the heat.

I pay $25 for a 16% popcorn mix. It is good feed. I then get a $8 bag of wheat and mix in 25 pounds of wheat. So all in all, for 75 pounds of feed, I pay $32 with tax. On exceptionally cold days, I mix in a can of whole corn, which, brings the price down even more.

I hear a lot of people say wheat is the worst for pigeons. Hold up. I Think it is the best grain for pigeons. Just because it's cheap doesn't make it bad. The book, "The Pigeon" is, in my opinion the #1 best written book on pigeons ever. It says that wheat is the best grain for pigeons... and that's when I started feeding more of it. I love wheat!
Nothing wrong with wheat. In years past when there weren't so many hawks I often fed straight wheat and flew open loft and let the birds forage for the rest of their goodies. They were never healthier. And growing up on a farm we grew wheat, peas, rapeseed, flax seed etc... the pigeons, chickens, ducks and geese were all fed with it. We didn't have any pellets and the eggs and meat all tasted better. I don't think we will ever get back to those days though...

I get this for $38 which is a bit more than other folks pay but I have no choice but to buy online. @Old_Strain_Lover their prices are a bit higher on here then you might be used to but the shipping is generally free when its over 40$ and its easy to get coupons.
https://www.chewy.com/browns-breeder-kafir-premium-pigeon/dp/187427
I mix whole corn into mine as well which I get for pretty cheap and pay 40 something for around 75 pounds of feed. I also mix in a small amount of this "winter rye" the feed store sells for dirt cheap which I have a small bag of that I'd like to be rid of. The pigeons don't particularly love it but they eat it. I tried getting rid of it by putting it out for the wild birds but nothing will eat it. Makes me wonder why they even sell it, it looks like lawn grass seeds.
Yeah, that's definitely an option if someone doesn't have another choice. I usually get 150-200 pounds at a time so I guess I'm lucky that I have a cheaper option.

Hi everyone! I have to say, I do love how we have “healthy” discussions about bird husbandry here. One of my duck groups on FB got ugly the other day and mods deleted a bunch of posts. Since I started this thread, I don’t think there have been any major arguments, everyone understands others’ points of view. We are so lucky, and I am soooo thankful for everyone’s open opinions!! :bow

So Duff, the hen of mine that hatched the 2 New Years Eve babies is on 2 eggs again! :th I’m not even sure when she laid them, as I didn’t expect it this soon. Bonnie and Clyde still mate all the dang time, but Bonnie has yet to lay eggs again. All my Dec-Jan babies are doing great. Guess we’ll have 2 more in a couple weeks! :D

I don’t think there have been any major arguments,
Ok,,,,,,,,,,, so let me start one then..
serveimage (1).gif

Ok,,,,,,,,,,, so let me start one then..

:lau

This is a good group....I've learned a ton because everyone is so helpful! I've had to give up a few threads due to people being jerks. I'm not here to argue....just want healthy discussion about birds.

Exactly. This group seems to value both sides of any coin. It’s all useful, one way or another. Not the case with some other threads. :highfive:

Hi everyone! I have to say, I do love how we have “healthy” discussions about bird husbandry here. One of my duck groups on FB got ugly the other day and mods deleted a bunch of posts. Since I started this thread, I don’t think there have been any major arguments, everyone understands others’ points of view. We are so lucky, and I am soooo thankful for everyone’s open opinions!! :bow

So Duff, the hen of mine that hatched the 2 New Years Eve babies is on 2 eggs again! :th I’m not even sure when she laid them, as I didn’t expect it this soon. Bonnie and Clyde still mate all the dang time, but Bonnie has yet to lay eggs again. All my Dec-Jan babies are doing great. Guess we’ll have 2 more in a couple weeks! :D
I love this thread. I may, or may not still be active in BYC without it.

all discussion is healthy, for the most part... I am happy to listen to both sides, but I am a bit to quick to jump in at times. :oops: Either way, I'm glad this group is here!

Congrats on the eggs! I have finally been having some luck with birds breeding, and am pleased to say that I have a regular flock of 15 flying! couldn't have done it without yall. Especially @biophiliac and @CCUK a huge thank you! :highfive:

Back
Top Bottom