Pigeon Talk

It's not a grit one would use as a grinding aid though.
so it isn't good for grinding the grain? I offer the red grit (has lots of minerals), and oyster shell. Do I need to get crushed granite too?
quite often it's the parents that will work them off with their beaks and carry them out of the nest (they will even carry them outside and drop them if they have access).
my parents are experts at getting them off! :lol: I watched one bird pull it off of his s quab, and fly to the hardware cloth window, and drop it right out of it!
I’ve always put bands on the opposite direction than she did. To me, hers is upside down. I want to be able to read the numbers when they are standing. :confused:
I like mine where I can read them when standing up, but for a racer, it makes it easier to record the number when doing a club race.
I'm glad it's helpful to someone!
Its helpful to a lot of people! Thank you!
what can I give my pigeons as treats?
mine love whole corn, and peanuts. Raw unsalted peanuts are there absolute favorite. Dont forget to give them some greens too. Mine like kale, lettuce, and carrot tops.

so it isn't good for grinding the grain? I offer the red grit (has lots of minerals), and oyster shell. Do I need to get crushed granite too?
The redstone grit that bio was talking about is something different. It's a type of red clay, and it serves a different purpose. It's definitely good for them and they do love it, but also not necessary. The redstone grit is like the one in this link at foys https://foyspetsupplies.com/naturals-red-stone-grit-55-lbs/ I believe I remember you saying you use purgrain feed... is that also the brand of red pigeon grit you use? If it is, then you don't have to worry about anything as it will have everything that they need in it.

my parents (pigeon parents, just wanted to add :old ) are experts at getting them off! :lol: I watched one bird pull it off of his s quab, and fly to the hardware cloth window, and drop it right out of it!
My mind is always scanning for answers. Since you live in the Volunteer State, a Patriotic area, your pigeons have the attitude of
1591391047106.png

with no shackles attached. :thumbsup
Second possibility,,,,, your pigeons have descended from pigeons on the East Coast from the original 13 colonies. Maybe from New Hampshire.:idunno
1591391278929.png

I believe I remember you saying you use purgrain feed... is that also the brand of red pigeon grit you use? If it is, then you don't have to worry about anything as it will have everything that they need in it.
yeah. I feed purgrain, and it's purgrain grit. They should sponsor me!
My mind is always scanning for answers. Since you live in the Volunteer State, a Patriotic area, your pigeons have the attitude of
View attachment 2178513
with no shackles attached. :thumbsup
Second possibility,,,,, your pigeons have descended from pigeons on the East Coast from the original 13 colonies. Maybe from New Hampshire.:idunno
View attachment 2178514
you are quite crafty!

some of my pedigrees pure whites parents came from New Hampshire! That must be where it comes from... :lol:

Cave man, am I mistaken that you have said in the past your daughter lives in Nashville? If so, I am an hour south of nashville. I would be HAPPY to set you up with some racers if you visit her. right now I don't have extra whites, but will in the future.

Cave man, am I mistaken that you have said in the past your daughter lives in Nashville? If so, I am an hour south of nashville. I would be HAPPY to set you up with some racers if you visit her. right now I don't have extra whites, but will in the future.
That is correct. If I do go down to visit her ,,, I sure will get in touch with you. It is her that usually comes up to visit the rest of the family, which are all here in Chicago metro. Now with the current covid situation, not sure when family get together's will resume. :idunno
When she does come over,,, she always brings the wolves:love
IMG_20191229_163209974_HDR.jpg

That is correct. If I do go down to visit her ,,, I sure will get in touch with you. It is her that usually comes up to visit the rest of the family, which are all here in Chicago metro. Now with the current covid situation, not sure when family get together's will resume. :idunno
When she does come over,,, she always brings the wolves:love
View attachment 2179358
I remember you mentioning the wolves... As long as they don't hurt the pigeons, I'm okay with them! ;)

It seems like pigeons sole goal in life is to multiply. Kiwi and Peach have been exhibiting courting and nesting behavior, and have selected a new nesting site. Which I don’t think is a good thing. I’m a little afraid they might stop feeding Nugget. Peach spends most of his time guarding the new nest site and I rarely see them tending to Nugget.

Nugget update! His feathers are getting prettier and prettier! He’s got a few on his wings that have kind of a brown to light grey gradient, which I find a little strange as the parents don’t have any brown, besides like one brownish feather under Peach’s wing.

He loves getting attention and squeaks grumpily if I put him down to grab something. He loves to climb into small spaces where he can’t climb back out of without help lol. I think he’s imprinted one my as he’s always trying to get food from my fingers, which obviously don’t have crop milk in them!
image.jpg

Last edited:
I have been hand feeding a baby pigeon squab. he's doing great! I'm actually training him to fly around and back to me on command. I'll and able to take him anywhere. The training couldn't be going any better. He has come to me from about 75 feet away so far. He has learned the whistle is linked to food. He is about 3 days from flying I think. He's a little chubby though. Here he is:
IMG_20200603_095309.jpg
IMG_20200603_095241.jpg
IMG_20200603_095250.jpg

here's the video:

Back
Top Bottom