Pigeon Talk

I was thinking that spread ash red was what normal ash red looks like. I see why I was incorrect.
a32820012c10181c18a320c5e0d1f907.jpg

View attachment 2480745Can anyone tell me the name of these colours
The hen is a red ash check, and the male is a red ash T-check.

(hen on left, male on right)
I barely know anything about pigeon colors but from what I remember there are three base colors, blue/black, ash red, and brown. Right @backyard pigeons @biophiliac ? Those look like the base color is brown. If you ask me to be any more specific then I will most likely accidentally give you incorrect information.
yes! Great job!

In these birds the base color is ash red. :)
I was thinking that spread ash red was what normal ash red looks like. I see why I was incorrect.
spread is very confusing. Just remember, on spread, it 'spreads' the color of the tail band.

*EXAMPLE* examine the tail bars in this male ash red check, and this hen with the base color being blue\black:
IMG_20191027_125456.jpg

If you were to introduce the spread gene into these birds, the male red check offspring that were red ash spreads would become This, a red ash SPREAD.
IMG_20200608_133538.jpg

Do you see how the males tail bar looks like the same color as the red ash spread?

Now, if the hen mated to a bird that carried the spread gene (just like i was saying with the male) lt would become a bird like this:
IMG_20200627_165055.jpg

Solid black, since the tail bar was 'spread'.

Now, just for extra fun, I mated the black spread hen above to a yellow tiger grizzle male. (Yellow is the dilute of ash red).
IMG_20200627_165705.jpg
With the spread gene and the blue\ black base color being introduced into the tiger grizzled, they threw a blue grizzle and a black tiger grizzle
IMG_20201202_154858.jpg
IMG_20201202_154934.jpg

yes! Great job!

spread is very confusing. Just remember, on spread, it 'spreads' the color of the tail band.

*EXAMPLE* examine the tail bars in this male ash red check, and this hen with the base color being blue\black: View attachment 2481424

If you were to introduce the spread gene into these birds, the male red check offspring that were red ash spreads would become This, a red ash SPREAD. View attachment 2481428

Do you see how the males tail bar looks like the same color as the red ash spread?

Now, if the hen mated to a bird that carried the spread gene (just like i was saying with the male) lt would become a bird like this: View attachment 2481446

Now, just for extra fun, I mated the black spread hen above to a yellow tiger grizzle male. (Yellow is the dilute of ash red). View attachment 2481449With the spread gene and the blue\ black base color being introduced into the tiger grizzled, they threw a blue grizzle and a black tiger grizzle View attachment 2481454View attachment 2481455
Thanks for clearing that up! Learning genetics is quite difficult!

yes! Great job!

*EXAMPLE* examine the tail bars in this male ash red check, and this hen with the base color being blue\black: View attachment 2481424

If you were to introduce the spread gene into these birds, the male red check offspring that were red ash spreads would become This, a red ash SPREAD. View attachment 2481428

Now, if the hen mated to a bird that carried the spread gene (just like i was saying with the male) lt would become a bird like this: View attachment 2481446

Now, just for extra fun, I mated the black spread hen above to a yellow tiger grizzle male. (Yellow is the dilute of ash red). View attachment 2481449With the spread gene and the blue\ black base color being introduced into the tiger grizzled, they threw a blue grizzle and a black tiger grizzle View attachment 2481454View attachment 2481455
Male tail
F564E0D9-60FB-4DBC-83E5-E4540E2A8ED4.jpeg
Female tail
C1BC9EFF-E93C-4364-BCEA-0746E63CBA2C.jpeg

Wish I had a spread pigeon to get those cool colours
A spread is most commonly seen in black birds:
IMG_20200627_165055.jpg

Remember, it is dominant so if the bird carries it, it will show it. I am planning on breeding a bunch of black spreads this year as they are still tough to find, even though it is a dominant-easy to breed color. If you were closer I would set you up. :)

Back
Top Bottom