Pigeon Talk

I'm half dead when it gets that hot:lau:lau. I'm a welder in a factory... kind of dread those hot humid days...:th:gig
honestly, 90 degree days are just as pleasant!

Do you enjoy welding? I have never welded but am very interested. I tend to enjoy any thing that I can do with my own hands.
Did you get a reply from Racing Pigeon Digest? Impressive, I must say, I hope they shared your letter. You are definitely an inspiration to other "youngsters", and I applaud you for your efforts. Keep it up! Even if you only get a small number of enthusiasts to "join the pigeon world", hopefully they will pass along the love also. :bow
yes, I sent it to the "letter to the editor" section, which has turned into chit chat in pigeon "problems". so it was run in the magazine.

They editor was impressed, and was anxious to see the responses it received. After all, their job is dependant on the pigeon sport staying alive.

I am now talking thru email to a district director from the American Racing Pigeon Union, and we are both sharing thoughts of how to promote the sport on a big scale. The ARPU is considering hiring a social media expert, to promote online. I think this would be good, but we also need to promote thru magazines like "Mother Earth News" and "Field and Stream" as well as others, like hunting magazines. so lots of ideas in the working now, including the ARPU contracting Lowes or Home Depot to build hundreds of small lofts for youth. This is the biggest push for the sport on a while. We will see :fl

I'm really wanting to see the ARPU, NPA, IF, Foys, Jedds, and other pigeon companies organization's and associations to unite and conquer. No, not unite as in become one organization, but for them to put together their resources to encourage new fanciers. after all, we are all in the same 'team'.

For example, the NPA and ARPU and IF join together to advertise and build lofts, while the pigeon company's give starter packs to youth, with small food bowls waterers meds and maybe some grit and perches. Then, try to get Purgrain or some other feed comlanys to provide one bag of food to all youth who get started. We would see pigeon fancier numbers double if we did this.

Also, have several volunteers from each state to be a helping hand with loft setup, health, and maybe finding birds. I know I would be the first in line to volunteer.

I have high hopes for the future of the sport IF we follow thru with what we are talking about. I think in many areas pigeon keeping will dwindle but I'm confident that there will be pockets if the "olden days" where there are clubs of 75 members. The bigger clubs will obviously be the ones that care about the hobby and are promoting it every chance they get. The clubs that aren't go-getters will die in a matter of a few more years.

In other news, I am now the Junior Director for the Portuguese Tumbler Club of America. I am very excited. It will involve me writing four articles a year for their newsletter. I was honored that they asked me. Hopefully I can bring some positive change. They are working on changing the website now: http://portuguesetumbler.com/

Remember guys, the future of the sport is in our hands! Whether its Sattinettes or Racing homers, educate people about them!

Edit: WV saw this while i was editing... Sorry for the typos! I added some stuff too.

Last edited:
honestly, 90 degree days are just as pleasant!

Do you enjoy welding? I have never welded but am very interested. I tend to enjoy any thing that I can do with my own hands.

yes, I sent it to the "letter to the editor" section, which has turned into chit chat in pigeon "problems". so it was run in the magazine.

They editor was impressed, and was anxious to see the responses it received. After all, their job is dependant on the pigeon sport staying alive.

I am now talking thru email to a district director from the American Racing Pigeon Union, and we are both sharing thoughts of how to promote the sport on a big scale. The ARPU is considering hiring a social media expert, to promote online. I think this would be good, but we also need to promote thru magazines like "Mother Earth News" and "Field and Stream" as well as others, like hunting magazines. so lots of ideas in the working now, including the ARPU contracting Lowes or Home Depot to build hundreds of small lofts for youth. This is the biggest push for the sport on a while. We will see :fl

I'm really wanting to see the ARPU, NPA, IF, Foys, Jedds, and other pigeon companies organization's and associations to unite and conquer. No, not unite as in become one organization, but for them to put together their resources to encourage new fanciers. after all, we are all in the same 'team'.

For example, the NPA and ARPU and IF join together to advertise and build lofts, while the pigeon company's give starter packs to youth, with small food bowls waterers meds and maybe some grit and perches. Then, try to get Purgrain or some other feed co pant to provide one bag if food to all youth who get started. We would see pigeon fancier numbers double if we did this.

Also, have several volunteers from each state to be a helping hand with loft setup, health, and maybe finding birds. I know I would be the first in line to volunteer.

I have high hopes for the future of the sport IF we follow thru with what we are talking about. I think in many areas pigeon keeping will dwindle but I'm confident that there will be pockets if the "olden days" where there are clubs of 75 members. The bigger clubs will obviously be the ones that care about the hobby and are promoting it every chance they get. The clubs that aren't go-getters will die in a matter of a few mire years.

In other news, I am now the Junior Director for the Portuguese Tumbler Club of America. I am very excited. It will involve me writing four articles a year for their newsletter. I was honored that they asked me. Hopefully I can bring some positive change. They are working on changing the website now: http://portuguesetumbler.com/

Remember guys, the future of the sport is in our hands! Whether its Sattinettes or Racing homers, educate people about them!

Fantastic stuff!! I’m so proud of you!

My three show birds are ready for the Louisiana Grand Invitational!

Leaving tomorrow morning and will come back Saturday. Its going to be a ten hour drive...

IMG_20210127_155322.jpg
IMG_20210127_155310.jpg

I'm guessing my best bird will be the black to check, next the red ash check, and then th tri colored. We will find out though.

You forgot to mention your pets across the street.. Any guesses on the number size of that flock??
My closest feral flock is about 2 miles away. I do provide birdseed for my songbirds year-round. Never had any pigeons visit.
Just snapped this pix now.
View attachment 2502627

I keep a water bowl that is heated and provides liquid water to my feathered and furred friends. Tonight we are expecting snow, and mucho,,,,, about 6+inches according to weather predictors.

If I had ferals visiting my feeder, I would just place more feed to feed them all. :love... Yes,,, the caveman would risk going to prison,,, but life is life. and caveman does not want anything togo hungry.
In Chicago proper, you get "Life Without Parole" :old if caught feeding ferals. I'm outside of city limits, so maybe I would only get a slap on the wrist.:gig
I think the Lumberyard flock is still robust with a few dozen members. .
My three show birds are ready for the Louisiana Grand Invitational!

Leaving tomorrow morning and will come back Saturday. Its going to be a ten hour drive...

View attachment 2505378View attachment 2505379

I'm guessing my best bird will be the black to check, next the red ash check, and then th tri colored. We will find out though.
They are beautiful! Best of luck!

@cavemanrich I wanted to make a longer reply but my device is fighting with me. It freezes without warning in the middle of a post.:hmmAn t least I think you'll appreciate the tribe of little brown birds that nest in cavities in th old building we live in. They come to feed at the pigeon buffet for every meal. I know we are supposed to discourage wild birds mixing with our pigeons ... But they are so cute!:)

I know we are supposed to discourage wild birds mixing with our pigeons ... But they are so cute!:)
In over 20 years of chicken keeping, and somewhat less of pigeon keeping, I have never encountered a disease brought in by wild birds. I'm not saying it does not or cant happen. I think wild birds that catch these diseases do die, before being able to really fly and spread it to everywhere. I also think that possibly rodents that consume the fallen carcasses, of such sick birds, can carry the germs around, and spread to flocks. A flock gets infected with no clear idea where it came from. The avian disease, naturally points to the ones that have it.
The analogy of this and predators is quite same. Just because you caught a predator, does not mean it is the one that devastated your flock.
I feed birds year round. My chickens, when I let them out into from yard, as I am just chillin on my patio, go to under the bird feeder to consume the fallen goodies. I don't shake in my boots with fear from what nature brings.

Switching gears now.. Bio, you mentioned some time ago that you were, or have, gotten a new tablet. Now you did state you were having some slight issues. Just a possible suggestion, or even a solution. I have an older low dollar tablet, and it is not from the ORCHARD.. (Apple :gig ).. It operates on an Android operating system. I have no quarrel with any operating system BTW.:idunno
I use an Opera Browser on it. I use Opera on my desktop also. Opera is my choice for many reasons. One reason is the lower market share of usage. In my opinion, that translates to less desirable to Hackers to hack into.
I can send link to it, but it is a simple search as Opera browser.
I'm not saying it is the solution, but it may be:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom