Pigeon Talk

Anyone ever have a newborn squab end up halfway across the loft???

I have one pair nesting on a floor in the corner that I’ve put a box around. They’ve raised three sets of squabs like this without issue, both parents are good about defending the nest and the other birds in the loft all have their own nest boxes and don’t bother them.

Sunday they hatched one squab, yesterday morning I saw a new eggshell on the floor and assumed the other hatched. By the time I got home some 12 hours later I found one of the newborn squabs, definitely from this pair, cold and lifeless on the floor at least 3 feet away. It was a completely uninjured newborn. I managed to perk it up with my body heat and stick it back under the mom, today I can’t differentiate between the two in the nest which one was on the floor, both seem fine, so I think all will be well with it. :fl

Just such a bizarre incident and was wondering if anyone else has seen something similar? I have no idea how this newborn squab could’ve ended up so far away from the nest without a scratch on it.
I’ve never had one end up far away from the nest. I’d guess something else had to move it. Was it near the empty shell? Maybe it got stuck hatching and mom or dad rolled the egg to help it get out?

I’ve never had one end up far away from the nest. I’d guess something else had to move it. Was it near the empty shell? Maybe it got stuck hatching and mom or dad rolled the egg to help it get out?
Or egg shell and stuck baby also got stuck to parent and were inadvertently dragged from the nest. Glad that the squab is doing well.

Upon closer inspection I noted that the eggshell in the loft seems a lot goopier than normal. I also noticed a bit of a mess on the underside of the father pigeon in that pair, I didn’t notice it last night because he was already done with his shift on the nest during the day.
I think you are right that either the squab was stuck in the egg and the parents rolled it out or it got stuck to the dad who inadvertently dragged the whole mess out, maybe both.

Still doing well, with a full crop now. It’s slightly smaller as expected but no noticeable differences from the sibling otherwise.

It always amazes me at how resilient and strong squabs can be while other times they give up readily. :idunno
Found the squab deceased this morning. :(
Not sure what went wrong. The crop was full (but soft/squishy) but there was a large, hard, light colored mass between the crop and vent on the squab’s abdomen. Any ideas what that could be? I’m starting to think this squab might have been doomed from the start.

Found the squab deceased this morning. :(
Not sure what went wrong. The crop was full (but soft/squishy) but there was a large, hard, light colored mass between the crop and vent on the squab’s abdomen. Any ideas what that could be? I’m starting to think this squab might have been doomed from the start.
Sounds as if it may have had an umbilical infection. Sorry for the loss.

Finally got my hands on a nice pair of giant runts

Attachments

• 99560C81-2834-4954-9AAB-B17C284D6DF3.jpeg
    99560C81-2834-4954-9AAB-B17C284D6DF3.jpeg
    691.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 739DA0B9-7F2D-4CB0-A307-F4BA6B8D2BA2.jpeg
    739DA0B9-7F2D-4CB0-A307-F4BA6B8D2BA2.jpeg
    617.5 KB · Views: 11
Finally got my hands on a nice pair of giant runts
Very nice!!

I had a friend that needed to rehome 3 white doves, so being the sucker I am, I took them in. But I’ve already found a new home for them, I’ll only have them for about a week. They are quite a bit smaller than my pigeons.
B3097756-04F4-4D96-963E-9EE47CE9BEEA.jpeg

And they have a week old baby, that they have now decided not to care for, so I’m trying to keep it alive by hand-feeding. It has a splay leg, so I’m not sure if it will survive or not.
21F3C3A3-F872-4655-A1A8-342869256B09.jpeg

A decade ago, I fell in love w/ pigeons when I was sick in the hospital for 7 months & I befriended a flock on the rooftop garden. They got me through the worst of it. I didn't realize they could be house pets till recently, so for my 40th birthday I decided to splurge on a big cage & get a pair of Indian Fantails. I couldn't find any with colored feathers locally, so I bought from Stromberg's. Thankfully, I don't have a Stromberg's horror story since they've been here for 2 weeks now.

I was wondering how many people are still active on here, since most forums are dead due to social media? Also, anyone w/ Indian Fantails? I love reading all the older posts, but since I'm new to pigeon keeping, I'd love to have a place to talk to others w/ more experience & just as much love for these AMAZING birds!

Alexis

Birdadette
IMG_8894 2.jpeg

Mr. Pidgerton
IMG_8970.jpeg

IMG_8981.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom